Back to trucking and leave corporate aggravation

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hyrate, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    I agree that being an o/o is not for everybody, so good to see your point of view

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I have an '02 and an '07 (EGR no DEF/DPF). I highly suggest to stay away from the emissions engines. I did some tinkering on my '07 to fix a problem and it has been great.

4. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    That is what I am looking at as well. making that leap and trying to understand what an initial income may be is a little difficult. However, not afraid of work and will do whatever it takes if this is the final decision I make

5. Mooseontheloose

Mooseontheloose Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    St Louis, Metro East
    I have the same reoccurring daydream myself. I could sell my other businesses (bread routes), quit my company restaurant delivery job, put a chunk down on my own truck, make less than I’m making now, be gone away from home for weeks at a time, pay out the wazoo for any breakdown, repair, downtime, do maintenance on the truck on my day off just to get ahead, do the paper work on the other day off and make that truck payment every week (or month). There’s a lot to take in consideration in running your own business and it helps to have every duck in a row before taking the leap. How much longer do you plan on working, why did you want to move out of the truck in the first place, would a lateral move to a different company make you happier? Within the truckers report forums are several independent operator annual financial statements (as in how much they cleared for the full year). Honestly, I wasn’t too impressed with their final clear. Key in the thread “Check my numbers” in the search line. There’s a good active thread now. Also there is an Encyclopedic member on Truckers report named “Chinatown” if you send him a message with what you want to drive and what area you’re in he can provide the best information that I’ve seen on here. The guy is One of Truckers Report’s greatest assets! It’s a big leap and I’m sure there are plenty of members (with actual owner experience). that can list just as many if not more benefits than the risks that I rambled about! I am a humble company driver.

Hyrate Thanks this.
  6. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I came back after a 3 year hiatus. Rented a test truck took test got cdl back. I was lucky. I was able to lease back on with a company for which I had been a company driver before. Otherwise I would have had to company drive for someone including the dreaded go out with trainer H E double hockey sticks. But you may find a small company to take you on right away.
    I recommend leasing your truck to a carrier to start. As others have mentioned pay is lower but still acceptable and there is a safety net. Launch business after relearning the trade. Get your truck in shape too. Always a million startup repairs.
    Best of luck to you! Let us know what happens. Share your journey.

7. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Thanks for your story and input uturn girl. The good is that I am up on all transportation regs, maintenance, elogs, HOS, etc. This is all due to managing a large fleet of 90 units. I will be ahead of most that start out, especially related to delivery tactics, equipment ect. However, it is that initial "Will I be ok" that scares this crap out of me. I am a strong Christian man and I know God won't let me fail, just that time where you go....am I too old to be making a career change?

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Without a dot physical most states pull your cdl...

9. Hyrate

Hyrate Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Right. Exactly why I maintained my physical card the entire time. It is in compliance as we speak

10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I left the management in trucking, to become owner op. Leased on with a small carrier locally for four years. The greatest part was I had a settlement every 12-14 days. Downside they took advantage of a situation and advised me that we (they) didnt want a customer of mine, that my father had for 30 years. That was my last day. Went filed my own authority and still have that same and trusted customer. Plus more. This relationship with this customer was very important to me and them since dad pasted. Best part. I hand them a invoice on Friday, they hand me a check on Tues. If Im not there to pick it up, its in my mailbox at the house Weds. The past carrier that me, my father were partnered with, we are now competitors. But that was his choice, not mine. There is money to be made. But you get out of it what you put in it. Knowing facts and figures go alot further than just being a great driver.

11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    For someone that’s in charge of 90 trucks you should be able to answer that question yourself.

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.