Backed in but truck not straight

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by edward4jc, Sep 13, 2018.

1. edward4jc

edward4jc Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    I back in to a dock if it has lines I am ok but if there are no line and it's dark I focus on the dock doors and once I reach the door my left side is all the way to the dock while the right is 2 inch off. So the trailer is almost straight but than I get out to look at my truck position and it's off.. I try to fix that but when I start to straighten the truck my trailer goes off the dock. And I end up playing back in forth and end up correcting only slightly. I think my problem is over steering when I try to correct. Would pulling up and slightly turning my wheel help fix the problem.?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as the only thing you hit is the dock, and or are not blocking another driver from backing in next to you.

4. edward4jc

edward4jc Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Sometimes I see that they get close to my mirror and if I would straighten out I wouldn't worry so much. Plus it looks better when it's all straight.. and its always to the left side probably dont straight it out in time.. been driving for a year. Think just need practice.

5. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I've been driving for near 30 years, I spend most of my day backing, running short haul local stuff. Some days everything is dead nuts spot on, other days, I look like a rookie. One thing too, on my ProStar, I am always off a bit, it has something to do with the mirrors. I'm straight as an arrow in them, until I get out and look, just like you, to the left. It is what it is, as long as you are not stupid crooked and hitting things, not that big of a deal in my book.

6. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    One thing too, when you back, use your rear tire on the trailer as your guide, NOT the back of the trailer. And it is easier to back with the tandems slid all the way back, unless you are in a tight spot that requires them to be forward until you get the trailer in the hole.

7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Adjust your mirrors out a little, it will help.

If the trailer is square, but the tractor is not, center the steers, pull up a foot, then crank to the left before going in reverse (assuming you are bent to the left).

Also once the trailer is square anf in the dock, you should have plenty of space to pull up and get everythinf straight.

8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I still can’t back worth a #### so you’re actually doing fine. I’m always having a bad day if I’m backing into some dark hole and I cannot see. Other drivers shaking their heads. I have to turn off the CB so I don’t hear about myself!

Ffx95, fargonaz, RedRover and 8 others Thank this.
  9. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I never think of the mechanics of this stuff, I just point the trailer and go... Where I have issues, is backing my four wheeler... There is nothing back there! LOL!

Rideandrepair and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  10. edward4jc

edward4jc Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2018
    I should try that cause I try to turn right to straighten the truck and end up with the trailer off. I will try just pulling up and chasing the trailer to straighten the truck. I think that would fix my problem thanks. Needed another point of view.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    2 inches? The dock plate will fix that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.