Background Check

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by BigPappa, Jan 30, 2007.

1. BigPappa

BigPappa Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Hello everyone, this is my first time here and currently trying to enroll in a truck driving school here in Fort Worth Texas. I am trying to get into PAM and I have a question for you all. Last year, I committed what is known as a state jail felony. This is the lowest felony in Texas and I am trying to get my lawyer to plead it down to a misdemeanor. I was charged in late december but I haven't been convicted yet. According to my lawyer my background check will show an arrest and I would probably have to explain that. Will this hinder me in getting into PAM or any other respectable trucking company? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    I have never done anything like this before and never plan on doing it again. Unfortunately, the circumstances that I was put in caused me to do something foolish and I am now paying the price.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    very vague info. i know some Co.s want to know about "unresolved" legal problems. good luck

4. BigPappa

Jan 29, 2007
    Keller, TX
    What kind of info you need from me in order for you to figure out what I should expect? Please let me know. I want to try and prepare myself for the worse.

5. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    if it was drug related you can prolly hang it up for YEARS

6. littlebit

littlebit Light Load Member

May 27, 2006
    That is going to depend on what the charge was for. If it is drug or alcohol related you will run into alot of problems finding a company that will hire you. Another problem you might run into is you have not been convicted yet. Alot of companies like to know if there driver is going to end up in jail next week. If you don't mind me asking what were you charged with?

7. BigPappa

Jan 29, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Theft. Ugh. I hate that. And according to my lawyer I won't be going to jail. He practically asured me that. It will be probation, how long depends on the DA. Its the only crime I ever committed and I cooperated fully with the police.

8. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    probably nobody will hire you untill it is resolved regardless of what it is. And that may be untill the end of probation if that is what you get. You can always petition the judge to have it esponged once you serv your punishment.

Not sure about TX laws but I assume a "state" felony is actually a bad state offense and not a minor federal offense. Technically a fellony is a federal offense and alot of companies look at them as very unfavorable

9. dstockwell

dstockwell Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Georgia
    OUCH, if your convicted of a state felony it may be very hard to find a decent company until so many years have passed, if they treat a state felony the same as a federal felony. Even if you get probation, leaving the state could be a problem.

10. kc0rey

kc0rey Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Macomb, IL
    It is a crime to mention "PAM" and the words "Respectable Company" in the same sentance........

Most companies wont touch you with a new felony conviction..............you havent been convicted yet.

11. BigPappa

Jan 29, 2007
    Keller, TX
    Wow, If I can get it down to a misdemeanor will they hire me then?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.