Backing in at TS in tight situations?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by JH001, Sep 15, 2018.

1. JH001

JH001 Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I’m new, 3 weeks in my own truck. Pulling a 48’ spread axle flatbed. The #### thing is impossible to get into a space at a tight truck stop. I’m afraid I’ll tear the tires off jacking it hard when loaded heavy but if parking is limited that’s the only choice. It jumps and bucks terribly until I get straightened out a little. How do you do it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Just think of Austin powers

You just have to work it in there, don't jack it in there, but just keep doing pull ups till you get it straight. Little bit at a time until you get a feel for it. Don't worry just takes time and practice.

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    You need a dump valve to drop the air on your trailer air bags.

5. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    If its a spread axle it should have a lift for the front axle if i rember right. If not , i would not know

dieselViking Thanks this.
  6. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Some of the larger flat bed companies don't have dump valves, because drivers can't be trusted to use it right.

7. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    “Should” is a broad statement, I’ve never pulled a flat with a lift axle.

Lav-25, kylefitzy, Dave_in_AZ and 5 others Thank this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Try the best you can to back the trailer in a smooth arc into the spot. Try not to turn to sharp where it will try to pivot in place, or a near pivot. Just shoot for a long curve into the spot.

It helps if the back of the trailer is a spot or two away from the one you backing into.

It's hard to do in tight lots, it helps to put the trailer real close to the truck on your sightside so the trailer has more room on the blindside to finish the arc, you won't need to turn as sharp, not much but it helps.

9. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    With a spread you've got to crank into it really hard to get to start turning, then straighten back out quickly because it will want to keep tracking into the turn. It will also turn at a different rate every time you back it up depending on the weight and the surface traction. I find it helpful to make multiple small pull-ups to keep adjusting the direction and rate of the turn, I don't care how many people look at me like I'm a rookie moron, they've never backed a spread. You really should have a dump valve for the back axle, I've had a spread axle curtain van with a lift on the front, that was paradise.

You should not jackknife it so hard that you run the risk of a tricycle situation, which is easier to do with a spread if you push it too tight.

Getting set up for the back is critical, if you don't have a system, figure one out. At a tight dock I start as close to the line as possible, pull up until the nose of the truck is in the center of the third door past the one I am aiming for, crank the steering hard right, pull up until the truck is perpendicular to the dock, then crank the steering full left and pull forward until I like the angle in the mirror.

Pulling a curtain van I get the worst of everything, tight-### docks for van loads, weird job sites and tiny lumber yards for flatbed freight. Don't even ask me about Home Depot stores. I have a motto-

If you're backin' a spread, you're pullin' ahead.
    It don't mean you're a failure, it's just the nature of the trailer.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Lepton1, Dave_in_AZ, MBAngel and 2 others Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Avoid tight truck stops. It's actually quite easy to do.

ichudov, SAR, Lepton1 and 13 others Thank this.
  11. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    Tight truck stops are good practice for all the other tight spots he's going to find that he can't avoid.

RERM, Woodys, Lepton1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.