Bad Day Yesterday (Question)

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by MooneyBravo, May 18, 2017.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I drive an 11 car Cottrell High rail day cab.
    Yesterday was the first bad day I've had in a long time; well over a year. Started out with discovering roof damage on a Tacoma loaded on last deck. Had another Tacoma on Top. I normally back the one on top and drive the one in on the bottom but I had 9 mid size units and was having a length issue on the bottom and trouble getting it to fit on the top deck. I decided to back the one in on the bottom utilizing the space over the tandem and drive the one in on the top. Not only was I a foot over the legal length but I think the bottom deck may have bounced up causing the damage. I had plenty of room between the bottom truck and the deck above. The deck was also resting on one of those platforms in front of the deck.

Is it possible that the last deck on bottom could have bounced up in transit?

Then later on I got careless loading a 2500 with running boards. Anyone who has ever split decked a cotrell high rail knows the potential problem with the end of slider conflicting with the running boards.

The mistake was loading that truck on top when the one on the bottom had no running boards. I also found out later that by sliding both back you are able to solve this problem and eliminate the conflict.

Yes both boards were damaged slightly.
    All I can do is claim it and write it up as lessons learned.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    That sucks when you see damage after you thought you had it done. Everyone has been there.

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    They usually don't bounce, but it can happen. Most often what happens is a tail drag.

I hit an unmarked frost heave one night in Minnesota. I had plenty of room, didn't think anything of it. Unload the next morning and the dealer starts raising hell about a roof. I actually threw the car back on the trailer and set the deck back down to take this picture:

upload_2017-5-18_14-20-46.png

I think what happened is that after the tandem hit the heave, it compressed the suspension enough to allow the tail of the back bottom to hit the top of the heave. You can see the imprint of the chain barrel on the roof. I still shake my head when I see this pic, and think about how far that car moved.

MooneyBravo Thanks this.
  5. NuCar Carrier

NuCar Carrier Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    I've had this happen. There was a dip on Interstate 90 N of Chicago like a frost heave and it would launch you into the cab ceiling to break your neck, the same as speeding over humped RR tracks to drag the trailer across. Before quick release ratchets what would happen is the tie down chains and and ratchet dogs would loose all their tension on 'impact', the bump would sometimes kick a dog out loosening the chain.
    Even with spring loaded dogs the lower and upper rear positions always seem prone to coming loose, not alot but enough to notice, perhaps because of a whipsaw effect.
    The problem is 'I hit a huge bump' isn't a very good cya, at least not more than once.

VTech Thanks this.
  6. diesel engine

diesel engine Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Yes it does bounce
    Front of #9 does it in transit.
    I have damaged roof because of that.
    Ever since I strap it to the trailer frame.

MooneyBravo Thanks this.
  7. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Just read this. Ever since, I drive the one on top and back the one on the bottom. I use the tie down on the trailer to ensure it don't bounce.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.