bad recruiter?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kevinm, Apr 29, 2008.

1. kevinm

kevinm Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I just got off the phone with a recruiter from Driver solutions. Seemed the only way to get in touch with them was to fill out an application. Was real quick to get me off the phone, didn't even take time to answer my questions. Makes me wonder. He said something about USA Truck... anyone hear of them and if so are they ok to work for? .35/mile after one year he said.

Kevin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    i'm with USA now just finished my year and got an increase to .36 i wonder, have they lowered it or did that recruiter not know what they were talking about?
    BTW i went through D.S. too, USA wouldn't be a bad choice for you to start at living in memphis. we have a terminal across the river in W. memphis and run alot of freight across 40 and 55

4. kevinm

kevinm Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I may have misunderstood him to he was talking a mile a second lol

Did you go to Arkansas State in Newport for the training?

When did you start getting paychecks (and how much if you don't mind me asking)?

My situation is I'm 100% broke and got only about 100 dollars to my name. The recruiter said something about they give you 200 dollars when you get there but that sounds fishy.

Kevin

5. panhandlepat

Jan 12, 2007
    yes i did, that is a really good school! there are posts from myself and others about it here use the search to find them, here is mine http://http://www.thetruckersreport...new-drivers/17912-leaving-in-the-morning.html

the first week out with trainer, it was 350 per week last year, but i heard it went to 400 (may have went back down if they cut back they 1st yr pay too?)

you get the 200 in increments throughout the 3 week school. 1st 50 when you get permit ETC.

6. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    FYI

It is illegal for any recruiter from any school to promise you a job to any company after you graduate.

They may be in a hiring agreement for a company and can refer you to that company, but if you hear the words "you will go to work for Blah Blah Company after you graduate" then get away from that school.

The only time that is legal is if Blah Blah Company trains you, with a contract that states you will work for them after training.

If the recruiter promises you a job after graduation, he is lying. Period.

This advice is just that... for your information. We now return you to your previous topic.

:wav:

7. kevinm

kevinm Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    No promises were made. Just with the short phone conversation he said I "shouldn't" have a problem getting prehired by PAM or USA Truck. I will prob get prehires from both just to be on safe side. Even then there is no guarantee and I fully understand that from reading on the forum. I appreciate you looking out for me tho... :biggrin_25525:

Kevin

8. panhandlepat

Jan 12, 2007
    i would go with USA for the simple fact of PAM is all automatics

9. kevinm

kevinm Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Thanks for sharing that...

Yes I double checked and they did lower it. 350/wk pre tax after I get my cdl and start training with USA Truck (from what I understand). Then when I'm solo is when the .27 kicks in.

I'm still going to wait till I get my tax refund before I dive in.

Do they provide any meals at all??

10. kevinm

kevinm Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    I did not realize that. :biggrin_25521: Great point. I don't think it would be easy to get another job with 1yr OTR and NO STICK..lol

11. panhandlepat

Jan 12, 2007
    that is exactly what i did. paid car payment etc up a few mo in advance and had cash to take with me. you are planning ahead and that is a very good thing, there is enough stress already without having to worry about bills at home and having money for food while you are there!

EXACTLY!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.