bad vibration

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bigguns, Nov 20, 2018.

1. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I am trying to find a vibration that came on suddenly. I have looked at tires for cupping and replaced 1 steer. I don't find an obviously bad u-joint, motor mounts look good, ride height is ok, no loose wheels, flywheel housing bolts are tight. I have thrown the transmission into neutral and the vibration stays the same. I haven't looked for missing weights on the driveshaft or drums. The vibration starts at 30 to 35 mph and is severe at that speed but it doesn't feel any faster or worse at higher speeds. A while back I put on 8 drive tires. I had to replace 2 because of odd ball cupping. One more now shows that same cupping. Maybe replace the remaining 6. I hate to just throw money at it. Any thoughts?

SAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    You might want to check for loose wheel bearings.

bigguns Thanks this.
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Describe the vibration. Is it a high speed kinda hum vibration or more of a shake or bounce that starts off slow then progressively gets worse getting up to speed

SAR and bigguns Thank this.
  5. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    How old are the shocks?

bigguns Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If the frequency or intensity isn't dependent on road speed I'd be looking into something RPM related. Maybe an injector is starting to go and its taking until 30 mph to get enough load on it to start missing?

7. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Last fall I bought a used truck and the steering wheel would shake at speed. When I rebuilt the engine this summer, I removed the right steer, so I could get access to the motor. After I I got the truck running I found that the steering wheel did not shake any more. I talked to a local show and here is what I found out.
    As wheels age the holes that the wheel studs go through wear some. He showed me some hub pilot wheel nuts that have extensions on them that fit into the holes in the wheel to make them center on the studs better. They are called 33mm hub pilot 19mm sleeve nuts.He explained that not all of the lug nuts need be replaced, just putting three on each wheel will do the job.
    If your problem started after you removed wheels, or changed tires, maybe things didn't get centered like they were before?
    This is what they look like.
    http://cdn3.volusion.com/tntgc.ravqn/v/vspfiles/photos/GL-2919-2.jpg?1541152908

8. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Update. No parts or pieces layer in the flywheel housing. No broken springs in there. Last night with a laser temp. gun I hit the u-joints and wheel hubs. One u-joint had one cap that was 30 degrees higher than all the others. This morning I found one u-joint cap that has turned less than one full turn under the strap. I will be checking that out. (Two different u-joints). All the wheel ends had similar temps.
    I don't see any loose fasteners or beat out bushings.
    The vibration is about the same loaded, empty or bobtail.

All steering components are tight.

Shocks are at 300,000 miles.

The shake comes on hard and all at once at 30-35 mph. It is as hard at 60 as 30. I'm not sure but when I let off the accelerator it seems to get worse for a few seconds. No hum. No noise. Just an intense vibration.

I thought about an injector but I don't have anything leading me in that direction.

I have some centering pins but not on this truck. The fronts are Budd wheels. Rears are hub piloted.

Once the vibration starts at 30-35 mph, it seems to remain about the same in all gears, all rpms, and all speeds. I know that makes no sense.

SAR Thanks this.
  9. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    No tire work or mechanical work has been done recently.

SAR Thanks this.
  10. bjrc

bjrc Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2018
    If someone engaged the diff lock while a wheel was spinning it could have a bent throughshaft in the front differential. Will cause what your describing.

bigguns Thanks this.
  11. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I am the only driver. I always make sure that the wheels are not turning before engaging the diff. lock. Foot on brake pedal on hold for a couple of seconds.
    @bjrc I didn't know that about the bent thru shaft. Thanks.

SAR Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.