Bad weather, shutting down.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Zaroc, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Zaroc

Zaroc Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Eugene,OR
    How bad dose the weather have to get for you to shut the truck down? I used to shut down if I did not feel safe at 35-45 miles an hour, now at my current job I do not get any choice. We ran in Portland during the Dec. storms when the mail was not delivering. 250 mi took 14 hours, paid by the hour thank god.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    High winds and flood. Or if the state decides to shut down the interstate for you.

4. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    My husband's policy is simple, and every company he has ever worked for has had to honor it. If he doesn't feel safe, the truck doesn't move. Period. No load is worth your life. And if the company doesn't like it, tough! Let the #### freight rot!

rikdev50s, luvtheroad and arky870 Thank this.
  5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I don't drive in heavy fog or on ice if I can help it . That gets tricky with hazmat though . If you encounter unexpected adverse conditions you don't want to be parked on a shoulder or ramp either .

6. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    this is also my policy...EXACTLY

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    No tow warnings from law enforcement, go in the ditch and it stays in the ditch. When you start to see big rigs in the ditches and medians or when you have cars crossing the road in front of you and running in the ditch on your side, pretty much shut it down.

When the weather is bad, heavily traveled roads need to not have idiots out there trying to puil someone out, it's bad enough when roads are good, it causes big pileups in bad weather.

8. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Basically my rule of thumb was if I didn't feel safe I parked it. End of discussion. I ended up in Wyoming in a wind storm last year lost 30 hours total because of bad weather. My driver manager didn't argue one bit. I had a non english speaking russian jack knife in front of me, I parked it. Told my dm he got my load rebooked for a later time. This happened after being shut down for 14 hours because a pick up with a fifth wheel trailer hit a big truck by the bridger power plant. It took them 7 hours to clean it up.
    i then sat for 16 hours in Rawlins waiting for the road to be reopened. When it opened I ran to Cheyenne and got some sleep. The next day I counted 15 big trucks in the middle and the ditch on I 80.

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    My policy is when the roads get dicey, or the no tow goes into effect, I park.

The last company I left a couple of weeks ago. The policy was what the driver thought was safe.

HOWEVER.............
    The load could not be delivered late and would not be rescheduled because of the conditions of mother nature. These were classified as driver fault. Loads were based on dry roads.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  10. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    From a rest area, I phoned central control that we were shutting down for black ice. I nearly fell while walking to the phone. Then, we went a few more miles to a truck stop. :biggrin_25525:

11. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Ain't that a load of horse hockey!:biggrin_25516: loads based on dry roads what a joke.
    Glad you are outta there medic. the new company treating you well I hope.:yes2557:

Brickman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.