Balance: Safety and Rights_Hair Follicle Analysis

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by truadvocate, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    NO ONE wants impaired, "under the influence of ___________" drivers on the roads. Period; however...

How do we balance out safety and individual rights against 1) racial bias in drug testing that leads to false-positives and 2) exclusion from trucking due to religious practices?

Or are we in our desires to keep the safest drivers on the road supposed to for example just accept as "collateral damage" the destruction of the work careers of approximately, in the estimates of the Department of Justice, 40,000 innocent Americans who receive false-positives annually? And what about religious groups that have been excluded from trucking careers because their religion forbids the cutting of their hair?

Non-minority groups are adversely impacted as well by hair analysis tests. For example, Canada has found the tests faulty and has suspended their use. The tests results were used to terminate parental rights and adopt the children out to other families.

Here is the Canada article:

Discredited hair-testing program harmed vulnerable families across Ontario: report

This next article points to court rulings that confirm racial bias against African-Americans in hair follicle testing and religious discrimination against groups that are forbidden to cut their hair thereby rendering them unable to provide a hair sample. It doesn't speak to the greater population who are also impacted by false-positives because its focus is Title 7 of the Civil Rights Act.

Recent Challenges to the Use of Hair Follicle Drug Testing

(Please forgive typos.)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    :rolleyes:

So now it is racist to test for drugs.

Yep buying another 1000 now.

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Drug tests are mean.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Collateral damage.

So many wanna truck and always a percentage of first year newbies are removed from the industry among other reasons such as preventives etc.

I refuse to touch religion. If for some reason it aint for someone that believes whatever it is for that person not to go into trucking, there is no point in talking about it.

Enforcement is only going to get harder. Take liquid Imodium for example. Sales have gone through the roof as the people going through withdrawals discovered loperamide as a active ingredient that binds somewhat like Opiates to receptors within the body, primarily into the Gut which stops the activity that leads to the trouble you are having at the toilet. I expect Immodium and similar formulations (My flavor is Keopectate for traveling problems in trucking, it never failed me in that purpose) To be removed from the over the counter or restricted again in some way by the FDA because millions are risking liver damage and destruction taking huge amounts off label fighting drug withdrawals as a society. There is a certain specific daily amount that will destroy your liver or damage it. And that is that for some.

The more regulations tighten down harder against a problem the more the people find workarounds. Eventually it's a failed effort or it's so regulated there is no point in hiring humans who are dirty in some way anyway. Coffee might be illegal at this rate for truckers. HA.... follow me?

I have always known that trailer is 6 seconds from killing someone when loaded or empty. If you are sharp and have nothing messing you up other than a little bit of lost sleep now and then, when that trailer gets ornery you will have it back in no time.

I also say that the millenial generation were babies or not even a dream between two lovers during the time of the original 1991 CDL drug testing etc years. They think that in some states pot is legal and it is provided the Federal government chooses not to simply burn down the pot shop or grower which they can do at any time. Their children will find that maybe pot is legal for trucking in some form because by then we are all stressed out... or some such silly concept and push for something else. It never stops. Those are not born yet. When they do grow up, they are going to find a society that is going to be so tough against anything that alters a human across the blood-brain barrier.

There were things that were legal in my grand parents time. Some of it was quackery and some was literally early forms of cocaine (Coke etc) and Used as medicine to stop runny noses and sniffles until just after WW2 or so...) It's illegal now.

That was when I was a child. Like 50 years ago. Ancient history. People were toking and firing up Pot in them days because it was simply not allowed anywhere and no drug testing existed that I know of back then that far back for it.

You have to make a choice. If you wanna drive a big truck, you need to have a good mind, body and nerves to do it. And all of these tests under the sun does not bother you none. Annoying yes but it's not a problem.

IF you want a life involved in so called legal drugs etc in your state or religion etc. Then trucking is not a open industry to you. It's that simple.

There are ways to have laws changed in our Political System of Governing at all levels, but I will be dead by the time the Federal Government has it's arm twisted enough to remove Pot from schedule one. Which is THE list of drugs that alter people so much that they are automatically disqualified from making important decisions or trucking etc while it is in their system.

Anything else from me is going to be a broken record. Round and round it goes.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    After several major interactions with the medical community in the USA I can positively say they don’t really know jack . And one of these hospitals is world renowned.

I’d hate to think what some low budget lab in jerk water nowhere can screw up. I’m sure there are some false positives...... there has to be.......

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do you drug test your cats for catnip?

Blackshack46, 06driver and IluvCATS Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    hey, catnip is some powerful stuff man...

my cat would race around the house and climb (literally) the walls.....

i think cat owners ought to be tested for second hand catnip inhaling.....

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I've thought that since 1989.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  10. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    How do we balance out safety and individual rights against 1) racial bias in drug testing that leads to false-positives and 2) exclusion from trucking due to religious practices?

Or are we in our desires to keep the safest drivers on the road supposed to for example just accept as "collateral damage" the destruction of the work careers of approximately, in the estimates of the Department of Justice, 40,000 innocent Americans who receive false-positivesannually? And what about religious groups that have been excluded from trucking careers because their religion forbids the cutting of their hair?

11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Religion that’s against cutting of hair is bs......

Your free to not cut your hair and not drive a truck......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.