Basic queations about driving medical card and two up etc.

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by John_M, Nov 3, 2014.

1. John_M

John_M Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Australia
    I am on exchange for a year in Australia and will try to find a job as a truck driver this summer. Is it easy to get a job just for 2-3 months? I see that many of the ads offer jobs where you can start asap, does that mean that there is no reason to apply early beforehand?

Over to the real questions: Since I'm not familiar to some of the terms you are using here, there are a couple of things I don't know what is. I have seen that you need some sort of a "driving medical". What is that? Is that something that all truck divers need, or does it depend on ceritain things?

I also see that two up is quite common. If I should give it a guess, I assume it means that two people share the same truck at the same time and swich on who's driving?

It would also be nice if someone could describe the terms "road trains" and "b-double". Are they the same, or is there a difference between them?

How is the fatigue low working? I have heard that you can only drive 12 hrs per day. Is that it, or are the rules more complicated?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. John_M

John_M Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Australia
    I see that there are now 65 views, and no one has anweared yet. Did something wrong, or is this normal?

I can also add that I am a skilled driver back home and just need some guidelines to get started. I believe it is easier to get a good job when you know a bit of the basics. All answears would therefore be of good help for me.

4. kaygirl

kaygirl Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Western Australia
    i can answer a couple of your questions.

a commercial drivers' medical is a requirement for most driving jobs here in oz. you can get the paperwork relevant to the state you're in online. you need to print out the forms and take them to the doctor to be filled out and signed.

most employers will also require that you complete a drivers' fatigue management course online as well which i think that is also state.

a lot of places will want you to have a police clearance (to show you're not a terrible criminal), tho i don't know how that goes for foreigners.

depending on where you're picking up and setting down, you might be required to have a white card, which is a nationally recognised safety induction certificate, which can also be obtained online.

2 up is, as you suggest, when there are 2 drivers. one drives while the other sleeps. when i did it, it was either a 3 or 5 hour rotation, depending on the person i was paired with.

i'm not sure how any of this works for non-australians. the only way you'll find out for sure is to do a bit of research online and maybe contact the department of transport in the state you're in. and of course, you need a truck drivers licence. you generally need to hold a heavy rigid licence (for non-articulated trucks) for 12 months before you can get a licence for b-doubles and road trains.

hope that helps a bit. good luck with it all.

John_M Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.