Batteries go dead in about 3 days, there's a short somewhere.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Billyjack, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Billyjack

Billyjack Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    London, KY
    Has anyone ever had a problem with batteries going dead in about three days. Problem is in a freightliner with N14 Cummings. Not really sure of year model. Must be a pretty good short to draw that much voltage. I just had a conversation with a driver that has the problem so just putting it out there in case some one my know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Could be many things. Cooked batteries, an accessory left on, failed alternator etc.

localboy89 and magoo68 Thank this.
  4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Sat. radio left wired on or any other ele. logging box wired up to stay on all the time?

5. Billyjack

Billyjack Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2008
    London, KY
    That ELD being directly logged in to system was the problem a friend of mine had with batteries running down. That was just a few weeks ago. It will definitely do it. I will try to let this other driver know just in case. THANKS

6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Batteries have a life span, some last longer than others.
    A good solid system will have a strong alternator, good wires and solid connections.

Would guess that the system has a bad battery. May be a shorted / dead cell. Could be sulfated and the plates are now breaking down. The reasons are numerous as to why the system is not holding up.

In order to test the system, all the batteries need to be disconnected from the system, charge and capacity tested. They do need to be checked individually, otherwise the testing is on the group. That is not a valid test result. Only when your batteries are known good, fully charged and the wiring and connections are clean and correct can you then test the start and charging system.

Once that portion of the system is confirmed to be operational and fully feeding the load and system, you can then look at static load and power draw or other losses.

BUMBACLADWAR and Billyjack Thank this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Second everyone on everything! I would start something like this. If your truck has been parked for 6 hours and the alternator is still warm to the touch it is bad and discharging the batteries. When you come in off the road for three or more days disconnect all the batteries from each other. One bad battery can discharge all the others. Then test the batteries individually.

8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Does it smell like horrible eggs? Mine did that after they exploded.

Rideandrepair and Billyjack Thank this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    After they exploded, would have thought it was just before they explode.

When a battery is charging (lead-acid type) it gives off a small amount of hydrogen gas. Hydrogen at about 4.5 percent concentrated can be explosive. It is rare but can happen. The other gas from batteries is hydrogen sulfide.
    This is gas produces the sort of rotten egg smell from a battery. Usually this occurs for these reasons. First, the battery is getting over charged. This is an electrical system problem. Overcharging boils the water out of the electrolytes of the battery, then it starts the breakdown of the plates. Once this starts, not much you can do but replace battery.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  10. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Ya what he said ^

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I hate when that happens!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.