Batteries in the Freightliner Trucks?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by SLI2009, Mar 16, 2016.

1. SLI2009

SLI2009 Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2016
    What are the standard issues with batteries in the Freightliners? What is the best battery that you have found and why?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Get 750 CCA, over 1000 CCA.

Same price, but the lead plates are closer in the 1000 CCA so corrosion (sulphation?) leads to shorts quicker than 750.

If that makes any sense.

Buy from Freightliner - and you get warranty coverage at any TA/Petro.

Keep the receipt.

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Alliance, I think is the brand.

5. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Alliance sucks, 3 cascadias, 3 sets of batteries with an average of about 130k. I replace this last set with Interstate AGM's marine grade. 3 year replacement at any interstate dealer. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    Tip, marine batteries have both screw and post type connectors. You may have a hard time with the cables.

6. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Best batteries are cat batteries. I just replaced them in my truck. They were 9 years old and truck has 48000 hrs on it. I bought a new set of cat batteries hopefully they last just as long.

7. cdub304

cdub304 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Rockford,IL
    Well I like interstate but if I am correct its only like 3 companies that make all the batteries so go figure. I just try to replace mine every 2years because that's when the warranty expires. Havent had a problem out of them yet. Bad thing at the freightliner is they pull from all 4 batteries to start.

bzinger Thanks this.
  8. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Anybody have the Maxwell? I'm considering pulling the trigger on one of those, then just buying 3 other batts for house loads.

BigSky Thanks this.
  9. jbee

jbee Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    NC
    Odyssey 2150 series. They ain't cheap, but they kick butt. Mine are going on 2 years and have yet to have any issues. Period.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I just finished putting batteries in most of the trucks - Interstate for the normal batteries and Maxwell starting modules for starting the thing. I did the alliance batteries for a bit, then went to AGMs which ended up slowly going down in performance because the regulators on trucks are not setup for those types of batteries That was a waste of money) then went to interstate a few years ago for the original group of trucks I bought and decided to just use them from now on.

The group of batteries gets replaced at once, none of this one here or there, it is easier to keep track of things. I had one truck that came with the Maxwell unit from the original owner and it works without issue so I made the investment into getting one for each truck and have two extra for anything I buy in the future. I may put one in my pickup to see how it works for that.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. JAYRODPA

JAYRODPA Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Dingmans Ferry pa
    I have always had good luck with battery's from tractor supply. just make sure all your battery's are the same C.A. ( cranking amps ). one that is a higher or lower with screw up the rest.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.