BC GVW configurations for Tandem/Pony

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by PTSCummins, Feb 2, 2019.

1. PTSCummins

PTSCummins Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm searching through the local CVSE regs and seeing confusing answers.

I'm considering leasing a pony for the next year. I'd be a lot more appealing to several local outfits with the added payload a pony gives. Seems like there's a lot more demand for material bulking right now.

My truck (99 WS 4900EX) has a max GVW of 43,000KG (sorry Americans) and I would guess tares in right around 9,500KG fueled. I haven't been able to verify that figure yet on a CAT scale.

Provincial regs indicate max weight on a steer axle with a float is 9,100KG, and maximum weight on drives for my spacing configuration is 17,000KG. That gives me a total LEGAL gross weight of 26,100.

Now adding in the pony. The regs vaguely indicate that the pony's entire weight isn't to be factored when determining legal drive axle weights, only whatever load the pintle puts on the drives. Let's say I've got a tandem pony with 8,500KG GAWR on each axle and has a tare of 4,800KG. Regs for that axle configuration indicate a max weight of 17,000KG. I would assume the pintle is putting barely any load on the drives so I'm not bothering to include it here.

Am I right in assuming that I can legally carry 26,100KG in the truck and another 12,200KG in the pony, or am I way out to lunch?

Thanks for the input, just trying to get this clear in my head before I go make a fool of myself in the real world :D

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    1 KG = 2.2 something odd pounds.

4. PTSCummins

Dec 7, 2018
    Correct. 2.2lbs exactly.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. BC Trucker

BC Trucker Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2017
    legally carry 26,100KG in the truck and another 12,200KG.

You would not be able to carry 26,100KG of material in the truck. The quarry wont let you leave if you scale over 43,500kg. Based on your calculation 26,100KG(material)+12,200KG(material)+9500KG(tare)+4800KG(tare)=52,600
    Most guys in BC with Tandem truck and Tandem pony carry about 13,000KG of material in each box(truck and pup) for a total of 26,000kg of material. Your tare weight on the truck is pretty low so you would be able to carry a little bit more though. My setup is 12,500KG tare on the truck and 5,000KG on the pony. My GVW is 43,500 which allows me to carry 26,000kg of material. In your situation get a tandem pony it wont be more than 5,000KG tare. You would then be able to carry 14,250KG in your truck box and 14,250KG in the Pony.

6. BC Trucker

Sep 17, 2017
    I guess with my calculation you are able to pull almost an extra 11,500KG compared to what your pulling with your single truck now

7. PTSCummins

Dec 7, 2018
    Thanks for your input, I really appreciate getting feedback from local guys that know the regs here.

Just wondering, where do you get the 43,500KG limit from? Dimensional weight regs or just what your truck happens to be certified for?

By what you're saying, I should be able to legally carry 16,600KG in the truck by itself, then approximately 14,350KG/each in a pony combination?

I feel like the 9500KG tare is low. The truck was originally a OTR tractor and had a listed tare of 7,756KG. Minus a few things but add the weight of the dump body/cylinder and I'd guess it's more like 11-12k. Most of our work right now is hauling fill to the local dump, and they don't want trucks slowing the scales down so we get waved through going in/out. We have an asphalt plant with a CAT scale just a few minutes down the road from me, but I don't want to waste his time unless I'm actually buying product. Come spring I'll go down there for a load of recycled, tare the truck out and write out a dope chart for suspension pressure while I'm at it.

Once again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!

8. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    2.2046lbs exactly

not4hire Thanks this.
  9. BC Trucker

Sep 17, 2017
    The 43,500KG weight limit don't quote me but I believe that is the true gross weight your allowed with tandem truck and tandem pony type setup. The trucks I've driven all have insurance rated up to 43,500KG so thats where I got that number from. Any higher would be for tridem pony or equipment hauling trailer on the back of the tandem dump truck.

Our local "Pitt River Quarry" or "PRQ" some folks call it has a nice little chart from single axle truck all the way up to transfer and quad wagon weight limits I'll take a pic next time I am over there or maybe if you are close take a look but I will post it next time I'm there.

Your 9500kg estimate of tare is low I'm assuming you have a double frame etc. The lightest single truck I tare'd in was 10,900KG but I've only been around for a few yrs and driven 3 trucks. If it's not double frame and aluminum box then maybe your right??? Who knows but that's good for you cuz then you can haul more for those pit to pit type jobs.

I wonder if you are in lower mainland or in other parts of B.C.? It seems like most people around here are moving toward transfer or tridem pony and just personally Curious what region of B.C. your in and if you considered a heavier hauling trailer ie. Tridem pony/quad wagon type setup instead

10. PTSCummins

Dec 7, 2018
    I'm not far from you. Up in Kelowna. The truck is a converted OTR tractor with a heavy single frame and steel box. The PO put in D46s, full lockers and a 14k front axle/springs. The box itself was built by K-Line with a single frame truck in mind. It has V notches that locate the box rails.

A lot of bulkers here have gone to tandem dump with a tridem pony or transfer. I'm just getting started up here and the plan was to run this truck for a few years, then buy a new/used truck if the need arose.

Not sure on the insurance GVW. I know we've got trucks here insured for 50-60k, I would assume the 43.5k limit is just provincial regs for what you can do with that specific combination.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.