Be ready to say no

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bayle, Apr 19, 2008.

1. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Well done rookie. Your well on your way to becoming a veteran driver with that attitude. ATTA BOY!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    if you concede EVEN ONCE you will be pegged as a "go-to" driver that will get it done. do not even once compromise on legal logging or they will give you crap you can't deliver legally

4. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Ask him to put the order in writing - complete with date. THEN refuse it

5. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate an ATTA BOY. No sarcasm intended. Even from a driver I don't know. It often is the only kind of ackowledement you get.

6. ratchetjaw

ratchetjaw Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Iowa
    You did good! Keep that backbone and be safe.

7. Muleskinner

Muleskinner <strong>"Shining Beacon of Chickenlights"</strong>

It has been a blessing one minute and a curse the next,but I'm a born bullhead....I've NEVER done anything that I didn't want to do on a job or for anybody that tried to push me into something that I was gonna be gambling for their benefit more than mine.If you have that attitude you'll go a long way towards keeping your CDLs in this biz because trust me,they will push you until they can't push anymore.Draw your line and stand behind it.

8. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    Another one happened recently. I was in Davenport IA, with a load going to Boston. The boss calls me up asking if I could make it for a 3 am drop the next day. This was in the morning around 9am. I told him I don't know where you learned your math but you need to go back to school, or strap a jet engine on the truck, cause there just ain't no way that is happening. I think he was either drunk or confused. Probably both.

9. Snowman&Fred

Snowman&Fred Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    ok...this might sound like a dumb question, but how do you figure if you can make it "legal"? I assume you figure out the distance from point A to point B, devide that by 55mph, and you've got your answer. (i say 55, cause that is just a guess as to average speed of the truck)

10. markgel43

markgel43 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Waterford CT
    Hey Bayle was a load of jet engines for GE in Lynn & where do you strap on the wings
    That run would be tough for a team 4 wheelr.

11. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa

Thats a good question actually. Many carriers will use an average "transit time" based on 50 mph. Some will use 48 mph (Ask your carrier specifically how their transit time is calculated to ge sure). The distance is divided by the transit time. If it exceeds 11 hours of drive time then a mandatory 10 hour break will be added in as well as a couple of hours for rest stops including bathroom, food, fuel, shower, etc.

Here is how I figure it out; When I have been asked by dispatch how soon can I make it to a destination, I calculate the distance based on 50 mph then add 1 hour for each 5 hours of driving. This allows me time to stop for food, fuel, restrooms, etc. If it is over 11 hours of driving then an additional 10 hour break is factored in. Pretty simple really once you know how.

Of course I have driven trucks that normally can get up to 75 mph so I can easily average 60 to 65 mph (depending upon the states I am traveling through and the terrain).

If I arrive before my pta (projected time of arrival) the customer is happy and so is the boss.

Baack and rodcannon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted