Become a new O/O or a New Freight Broker?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by SteveScott, Jun 11, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    For the last couple months I have been preparing to become a new O/O after driving OTR for a few years. My company is set up, plenty of money in place, everything is moving ahead slowly but surely. I have a niche market and clients waiting for me to get my truck and I'll be in business. But I keep having this nagging feeling in the back of my head. What if I get injured or sick? I'm 58, and while I'm not over the hill yet, my body is getting old. What if I blow a knee out and can't work? Yes I could hire a driver to run my truck while I couldn't work, but with start up costs being so high (especially insurance), would the company survive if I got hurt or sick in the first couple of years?

I keep going back to freight brokering as an alternative. I already have an office set up at home, and I can use the company and numbers from trucking as a brokerage. The likely hood of getting injured as a broker goes way down, and even if I did get injured, I could still work as a broker. I was a successful insurance broker in a dozen states for 30 years before I was a driver, so I know how to close a deal and market myself. Start-up costs and general overhead are also much lower with a brokerage, although I would need some serious capital in reserve for those first couple years until my credit score increased. I also think about the working years I have left, and how I could work much longer as a broker as opposed to being a driver.

I hate second guessing myself once I have started something, but it's all part of planning and thinking things through before you commit.

Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds reasonable. Especially if your direct customers are paying anything close to spot rates currently.

4. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Which part sounds reasonable? I know I have a solid plan in place for being an O/O, but as I said I wonder if a brokerage would be a better alternative than driving in the long run? The market I'm entering actually pays much better than spot rates, and I'm thinking that would be a good client base for a brokerage as well.

5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    You are a brave man to think about opening a business at that age. I respect that.
    Before opening a trucking company, I suggest you work as a driver for at least 6 months.
    Before opening a brokerage, you should work as a freight agent for at least a year. Your insurance brokerage experience will help some, but you still have to learn rates, lanes, commodity types, seasonal adjustments, etc
    Then you need lots of capital to stay afloat for the first couple of years, because carriers don't like working with new brokerages.
    By the time you are established and turning profit, it might be the time to retire.

You better off buying a truck, in the worst case scenario you can just sell it

SteveScott Thanks this.
  6. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Um yeah. There are two things that matter in this business in the big picture: good freight and good trucks. Good freight is low risk (few to no claims), pays fast (creditworthiness is too important in a business with high gross sales and low margins), truck friendly (loads fast), and pays at least the market rate + a reasonable markup. If you can check all those boxes you have 80% of the barrier to entry handled.

Good trucks are reliable and willing to run for the market rate or better. I'm not a fan of trying to find below market trucks, but that's because I suck at it. Some people don't.

PPDCT and SteveScott Thank this.
  7. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    The problem with buying new equipment is that it loses a third of the value the moment you drive off of the lot. So if things turn south in the first year due to my inability to work it would mean some huge losses. Even though I have some good paying clients set up for driving, I will still need other clients to attain the income level I want, and that may take a year or longer, and. the cost of Insurance is the big unknown at the moment. My gut is telling me we're going to have an insurance crisis for small fleets and O/O's in general within the next two years. Kind of like what Obamacare did to the health insurance market. Insurance carriers are pulling out of the market, and prices will be going much higher than they already are. That could bury many small operators by wiping out their margins.

8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    That's very true. I started 3 years ago with 14k including physical for truck and trailer. Lately I have been hearing 20k+ for new startups

DSK333 Thanks this.
  9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    The rates will support any cost increases as long as supply stays constrained. If the economy falls like 2008 (seems unlikely... we'll probably see a recession or a correction, but I doubt we're going to see a full on collapse) or there is a government fix for HOS/Elogs that could change... but right now things are pretty silly.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  10. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Either way this is the right year to get in. It's the best conditions imaginable for selling transportation. On that vein unless you were massively under-capitalized AND very unlucky failing in 2018 as a trucking company owner or broker probably means the whole thing isn't for you. Seriously. If you feel squeezed in 2018 as an O/O or broker you're doing something really wrong, and if you can't fix it it in these conditions you certainly won't be able to fix it when what goes around comes around.

Nothing about that last paragraph is meant for the OP either. I think he'll do really well actually. But few things are as important to success in business like being able to sell and operate a business.

11. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks for the input. I've decided to stick with my original plan and stay on the O/O course.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.