Beer and Gluten

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Gulf, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Just for any of your beer drinkers out there, when you're off-duty or out of the truck, who have an issue with gluten.

I didn't discover I was sensitive to gluten until was older, almost 50. And I did some research and found that it is not uncommon to develop a gluten intolerance when you are older. I don't have full-blown Celiac's disease which means you can't have any gluten at all without problems. But too much gluten does give me digestive problems.

I tend to avoid bread and things with a lot of grain. I make my own bread when I'm home. Beer can have a lot of gluten also. But Corona actually has less than 20ppm of gluten which makes it "gluten free" by legal standards but still not good for Celiacs. So if you're just gluten-insensitive, Corona is a good choice if you still want to drink beer.
    Is Corona Beer Gluten Free? - GlutenBee

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I like both.
    But too much of anything is not good. I think the Americans meat and starch diet is the main reason for most health issues. And then there is smoking which is another topic. America is the most obese country in the world. But many others are catching up.
    I thought other nations would not follow our foul ups but it seems they want what we have. So good luck with that.

Gumboslef9384, 86scotty and Gulf Thank this.
  4. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    There’s a pretty good beer by Widmer called Omission that’s functionally gluten free.

Intothesunset and Gulf Thank this.
  5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Most vodka is gluten free.

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I've been noticing "chicken skin" lately. Keratin builds up in the hair follicle and makes a bump in the skin, one sign of gluten intolerance.

Cheap beer seems to be ok, so far. A sub sandwich is worse.

Gumboslef9384 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  7. Old-school trucker

Old-school trucker Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Mississippi
    Drink tito's vodka. Its gluten free

8. Gumboslef9384

Gumboslef9384 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2019
    TX
    Beer doesnt bother me but a sub will burn a fire in my stomach hotter than hell

9. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’d also note that my wife (who has a significant gluten intolerance if not actually celiac disease) finds sourdough bread perfectly digestible with no problems.

10. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.