Before you come to Landstar .....

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by IndianaF150, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Before you come to Landstar, they should, but dont warn you about 2 of their policies ...

1.) your eld switches to Drive at 5 mph. Other companies let you do 15 mph or more before switching to Drive.

This means while you’re searching for a trlr. It will be on line 3 !

If you’re at a truck stop and need to move for any reason, it’ll be on line 3.

Unless you can keep it under 5 mph, which is unreasonably slow. No, you cant just pop it back onto line 1 or 2. Once it shows line 3 you cant take it back.

This will seriously screw with your h.o.s. You may be 6 hrs into your 8, when you just got screwed.

2.) landstar will fire you if you’re caught sitting on an on ramp. Immediatee termination.

No place to park? TS * You’re fired, even if its legal and. Safe, no ramps! Their dangerous policy that i call “drive til you crash” is based on an over response to a lawsuit they lost in which a teen was racing in circles in a private lot and slammed into a legally parked landstar. They sued landstar and won millions.

So now, landstar over reacted and is setting themselves up for more suits because theyd rather have you drive til you crash rather than stop at an on ramp where often times its the only place you can park.

* doesnt mean truck stop :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    parking on ramps is neither safe nor legal

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Landstar is bad, go to Schneider.

sawmill, jeff18, ncmickey and 8 others Thank this.
  5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'll give you $250 for your e log when you quit.

TheFriscoKid, All4Safety and 06driver Thank this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The 5mph thing is because they procrastinated getting elogs and as such were not grandfathered in with eobr system where speed thresholds could be set by company. The 5mph thing is supposed to become mandatory for all if reasonable heads don’t prevail and lobby for change, in December of 2019. I’ll quit then for a job where managing time is not so critical ... perhaps something that pays hourly and for every task performed, whether it involves driving 600 miles or a quarter mile.

I’ve never once slept on an on or off ramp and have been on elogs for about 7 years now. Will take a violation before I try and sleep 4 feet from busy interstate traffic.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  8. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    All companies will be required to use true ELDs (the 5mph limit you’re complaining about) soon instead of EOBRs. Some existing Landstar trucks are still using EOBRs, but new leases are required to use ELDs since everyone will be switching to them before long anyway.

It’s called the “Sitting Duck” policy, but it should really just be called “Common Sense.” Everyone knows that parking on a ramp or the side of the road is dangerous and illegal. In 8 years on E-Logs I’ve never slept on the side of the road. The argument that there’s no truck stop parking is ridiculous. I drive OTR and find a spot every single night, so why can’t you?

Also, stop whining. These topics have been beaten to death and no one cares about your inadequacies as a driver.

9. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    P.S. Typing in bold doesn’t make your message more important, it just highlights your childish whining.

10. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    5 mph will be mandatory effective Dec. 2019.

In 23 years I have had to park on an exit ramp 1 time, if you use an exit ramp as a usual place to park, that comes down to a lack of planning and poor time management. When I start my day I usually know where I plan on shutting down for the day, and I always have a secondary place in case the first one doesn’t pan out.

11. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    do you know the difference between a ELD and a AOBR.... no...... didn't think so

they tell you about the sitting duck policy in orientation... it's simple it's called TRIP PLANNING.... your the one that wants to “drive til you crash” because YOU don't want to stop and park safely

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.