Being an Owner Operator...???Whay can't I run what I brought?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by thanatos, Apr 17, 2010.

1. thanatos

thanatos Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I guess I do not understand why the companies I spoke with so far demand you have a certain vehicle at a certain age.

I already own my own excellent str truck. (This truck has 12 foot sleeper and could be out for 5 weeks comfortably, so it could run all 48 easily.):biggrin_25515:

Does anyone know a company that will allow a guy to "run what you brung" as long as it is not a safety issue or ratty looker?

I have never gotten into my own authority, but that might be a route for me also...not sure right now.

I have this truck that could be working right now, instead of being used only once every other month or so.

Any ideas you may have for a company or...???? would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dle

dle Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2010
    ennis,tx
    And how old is it?

4. thanatos

Aug 24, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Not that it should matter, but it is a 1998.

5. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Because they say so, that's why...

If ya don't like it, you're always free to start your own company...

You got a 12' sleeper? Be prepared for a few companies to turn you down just because of that. That limits you on both gross and axle.

6. Spacer

Spacer Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Little Rock, AR
    Their name and business are tied up in getting the load delivered on time and safely. Many also are concerned with image, and want their name on newer, cleaner equipment. Yeah, there are plenty of well-maintained older trucks out there, but statistically, they figure they're better off with an age limit. Some such companies use the limit to lease you on, but then you can operate it for as long as it'll pass inspection.

Now, considering some of the really dumb decisions and standards they use, it probably isn't as simple as that...

7. thanatos

Aug 24, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I think you are right. I guess what makes me scratch my head is why I cannot meet with the fleet manager and invite him to inspect my truck...or one of his wrenches to inspect my truck. It seems the older I get, the less "personal" business gets...we are all a number...and I dislike it. Yes, the internet and ECM's in the trucks, cell phones and air ride...radials...they all make for better running, but we have lost something as well. I remember when specs were a GUIDE to go by. If you spoke to a manager and made your case, you got personal treatment. I miss not being able to shake the hand of the guy in charge.

8. jubajajo1

jubajajo1 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2010
    OK, its older its in great shape its got a huge sleeper/motorhome attached to it. If I where you, I would look into power only. They haul mostly mt trailers all over the 48 and canada, some have year restrictions but some dont, call trailer transit and see what they say, or use the jobs owner ops section of any online job finder, this may be your best route, other than getting you own authourity.

9. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Some places are concerned with age and looks, others want you in a new truck so you will be saddled with high payments, and therefore, will have to run hard all the time. If you have an older truck that is paid for, you may be inclined to actually go home every now and then and try to have a real life, like the people at the office do.

10. dmag

dmag Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2009
    charlotte,nc
    some shippers like GM and Ford have a limit on the age, they will not load a truck that is over 7 years.

11. Swaps

Swaps Heavy Load Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Minnesota
    just get a list of companies and check all their websites, if they require trucks to be at a certain age, go to the next one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.