Being told i have to pay CO tax living in NV

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Tripp_84, Jun 26, 2018.

1. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    If the company has a yard/terminal in San Bernardino and then driver stays local, he and the company are subject to California labor law. I would assume it is the same for NV, but I don't know their rules. It doesn't matter where the company is calling home.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I do. Live in Mississippi, work in Alabama. Pay taxes in both states. Do my taxes at HR Block. Have done so for six years now.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    That's crazy. I've always tried to work for carriers outside of my home state. I've only paid taxes in my home state.

Just passing by and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Same here.

6. Tripp_84

Tripp_84 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Las Vegas
    I called the CO tax authority. She did say that since i do not conduct any business in the state my employer should not be withholding CO tax from my check. She did say that different states have different reciprocate laws with each other and if i was in a state that had income tax my employer could with hold and there is a form i would have to fill out every year during tax season.

she read this to me

"Employers are required to have a Colorado withholding
    tax account and remit Colorado withholding taxes if an
    employer pays wages that are subject to federal withholding for income tax purposes; and

1.The employer has employees performing work or services, either wholly
    or in part, in Colorado, OR

2.The employee is a Colorado resident working either inside or outside of Colorado, unless income tax is being
    withheld for another state."

the way i understood her was for an OTR driver #1 where it says "Wholly or in part" gives the employer reason to tax you and its up to your tax people to determine how many days you worked in the state to be able to deduct all the rest.

I moved to Vegas Jan.8th. She said i still need to do a CO tax return and fill a partial residence form out to get all of the money back except CO will keep the 8 days i was still a resident

But i don't know. It's all a scam lol. My employer today agreed to stop withholding the tax so i'll chalk it up as a win for the little guy today :brave:

7. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Check with a tax person but it seems similar to my husband plumbing. We live in city A and he pays taxes for city A. Work is located in city B and he pays taxes for city B. Then each and every city he works in he then also pays taxes for those cities. It may work the same way just extending to different states.

8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    There are a couple of specific items not being touched on here.
    First is the concept of domicile. You can have several residences but only one domicile. Different states attempt to tell you that your domicile is their state, particularly the high tax ones. Follow the regs in whatever state you declare as your domicile.
    Second, there are many types of taxes among the various states, the discussion here is vague.
    And reciprocity is all over the place. The last source of info I would trust would be your employer.
    A good tax pro, not H&R Block or something similar in the state you declare as your domicile is essential here.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Same here. Someone is mistaken.

11. Om544

Om544 Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.