Benefits of rails vs deck?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Nothereoften, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    I only have maxi Chambers on the first 2 axles of my jeep.

Only time I have issues is when the trailer is stacked in the yard and sits for a while. The air bleeds off and I could chase the #### thing around the block trying to hook up if I don't give it some air first. Especially if they hooked it with the yard truck since it's 5th wheel is about 6" lower than mine.

How much height does your Jeep add? Also what's the axle spacing from drive to jeep?

Oxbow, cke and old iron Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    Depends on the trailer.
    The bigger the trailer, the more it weight it saves, it's generally proportional.
    Also the amount of well and sections also contributes.
    My trailer is a 70ton, and I have many sections. My mains are both 20', and my rail is 5000lbs lighter than my deck. On my sections, my 10' rail is 2200lbs lighter than 10' of deck, and my 7' rail is about ~1000lbs lighter than my 5' deck, so 37' of rail is around 8000lbs lighter than 35' of deck, or whatever combination I put together.

Most of my blocks are 4' long. I've got a few longer ones for certain purposes. I'm not a fan of square blocks, 12x12 doesn't give you much option, it's 12" either way. I carry 10x12s, 8x10s, 6x8s...
    The point of a rail usually involves height, so sometimes 2" is the difference between needing a pole car or not.
    Like JD said, different loads use different blocks. Sometimes the same load with a different manufacturer will use different blocks, ie; I have to use 12" under a Grove RT crane, and I use 3" blocks under a Tadano.

I prefer securing to a rail, but then I'm a huge proponent of cross chaining. Also, when I hook a chain to a the rail, I know that I'm tied to the strongest point of the trailer, my anchor isn't gonna fail.
    There's less "shortcuts" when tying to a rail, so that's why some guys don't like them.
    And you'd best not be afraid to hang chains, cause your load is only sitting on something 4' wide so it better be secured...
    6EF72B0A-07BB-4BDD-A7E5-76124A208A3F.jpeg 68D7A492-B6BD-4262-8165-E4C570C9ECAF.jpeg

4. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    A picture is worth a thousand words, not scared of chains but the only way I know to learn without doing is ask. Thanks

Oxbow and cke Thank this.
  5. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    6" on height.
    68" spacing from rear drive. (120" group)

Oxbow, cke and Razororange Thank this.
  6. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    4160.jpeg

And here we have the flat floor,beam stretch trailer combo..
    With the optional 1"X 4' X 8' sheet of T1......

SL3406, kylefitzy, TripleSix and 6 others Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    This is the part I love to see. It's like art to me. A driver should have pride in his securement. Securement separates the healthy from the sick. When I walk through a parkinglot, I look and admire.

shakerclassic, kylefitzy, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.