Best CB and advice for a CB noob

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by MrsWJAA, Jul 19, 2021.

1. MrsWJAA

MrsWJAA Light Load Member

May 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Hi,
    Getting into trucking and the advice is to get a CB for the truck when I get one. Other than calling the family in from hunting at grandma's on the holidays for dinner, I have no experience with CBs at all. I will be browsing around the forum, but in the meantime, if anyone has any tips, tricks, suggestions, and recommendations, they would all be appreciated. Thanks!
    *I have learned already that the antenna I choose is almost as important as the CB unit I get, so recommendations for those are welcomed as well*

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I love the Anytone AT6666. It is menu-driven but once I make my settings they almost always stay the same

MrsWJAA Thanks this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    basic Cobra 29 worked great for me for over 35 yrs.

not the same one.lol.

first one lasted about 12 yrs.

Powder Joints and MrsWJAA Thank this.
  5. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    First piece of advice..........Keep it simple!
    Start with a regular CB radio! No high dollar exports (Stryker,Galaxy, etc).
    Cobra 29/Uniden PC78 (no peak and tune!!!!) will do you just fine and won't blow up if your antenna is less than stellar.
    Best bet as far as antenna would be to find a radio shop to set one up for you. Again keep that simple (no coily antennas). Stock antennas in today's trucks are generally terrible. Use that for a while and if you feel you want to move up to a "big" radio do some research online.
    Just be careful because this radio thing can mushroom out of control if the bug bites you!

JD

Buddy Stinson and MrsWJAA Thank this.
  6. MrsWJAA

MrsWJAA Light Load Member

May 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    The main hope right now is just something to keep apprised of traffic/weather situations around me. The hope for trucking is to put aside some $$ while hubby's covers the bills, so hopefully, the bug won't bite (or not too hard, lol). I already want a CB and a decent dashcam (and possibly a good trucking GPS depending on what is supplied for me)...

7. JForce28

JForce28 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I bought a Mirage by Ranger 10 meter radio and I have been very happy with my purchase.

MrsWJAA Thanks this.
  8. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    On GPS do yourself a favor and get a good laminated motor carriers atlas and use it. Lots of useful information. GPS
    Won’t always be the right answer. I still don have a gps but after 30+ years I get from point to point by calling if not sure for final mile directions. Also don’t be afraid to call non emergency local fire dept if in major cities like Chicago. They can tell you best way in to customers and or best truck routes usually. Another tool in your tool box.
    Uniden PC78 is a good radio. Still using mine I bought in 1989 Also have a Cobra 148 I bought around that time frame. Good radios not sure if still made anymore.

MrsWJAA Thanks this.
  9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    My base station is still a Cobra 142. Still works just fine.

MrsWJAA and jason6541 Thank this.
  10. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    The truck you drive will determine the antenna you need..Skip shooter has a nice selection of antenna choice length and color,also easily tuned to match...
    As been said stick with a basic cobra 29 or uniden radio..Nothin fancy yet..
    I have never had good luck with the gps units until i went with the rand mcnally(truck specific) tablet(smaller versions bave issues) but i did hear really good reports with the garmin desil to...
    Keep an up to date atlas as well as back up..
    Gps tip....make sure you set it correctly for truck routeing...DONT CHEAP OUT ON A CAR GPS cause they will put you in a heap of trouble....
    Common sence to is something you gotta pay attention..

MrsWJAA Thanks this.
  11. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    CB radio's dirty little secret.
    I can not recommend noobies spending $130 on a radio.
    .The Cobra 29 & Uniden 78 are both fine radios but $130 is to much for a noobie to spend. The secret is cb radios currently on sale are basically all the same. Full sized, mid sized and compact are all 40 channel radios. Unless I have seen your radio, I would not know or care what you have. I seriously doubt anyone can tell from the sound what radio you use. Even if they could, what difference would it make?.
    Do you believe a Cobra 29/Uniden 78 is really 225% better than a compact radio?
    .Spend your money wisely.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    MrsWJAA and Meteorgray Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.