Best companies for a wannabe trucker?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dariq843, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Dariq843

Dariq843 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2013
    SC
    I'm going to be attending a technical school for my cdl a few weeks from now and I would like to know what are the best companies for rookie drivers. The school I'm attending is partnered with about 20 trucking companies:

• USA Truck
    • Werner
    • Stevens Transport
    • Swift C.R. England
    • U.S. Xpress
    • TMC
    • KLLM
    • Covenant Transport
    • Roehl
    • Trans Am
    • Prime
    • CRST
    • McElroy
    • Averitt Express
    • Tide Water Transit
    • Schneider
    • Old Dominion
    • Pepsi
    • Conway

Out of this selection, which would be good for someone who is 24, single, living in South Carolina?

mje and orion1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BuckeyeCowboy63

BuckeyeCowboy63 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Im starting orientation with Crete/Shaffer next week. Look at them. My school worked with them but they also let me seek out prehires and jobs for comapnies they didnt work with.

Now as far as your list. Decide what freight you want to haul. Tmc is flatbed only and companies such as werner and roehl haul almost everything. Stevens is refridgerated only. If I was going to haul flatbed TMC, Refers Stevens, dryvan prime. My list in order overall: TMC, Roehl, Schneider, Prime, and Werner, but take my advice for what it is worth. I am a noob myself, and dont know all the companies there, but have researched a good majority myself.

4. jk72180

jk72180 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Cedar Hill MO
    Prime is reefer flatbed and tank

orion1 and mje Thank this.
  5. BuckeyeCowboy63

May 28, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Well heck, missed on that one. Prime is one of few I didnt research. We had a prime o/o come in to school to recruit us but all he did was talk about himself and never let us ask questions. Thanks for the correction.

6. wolf98

wolf98 Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2013
    bowling green, ky
    stevens has a 3 year contract just so you know ahead of time.
    werner is involved in a lawsuit check out (werner ripoff report on google)
    Roehl is great but you will have to pay for your own transportation to them and your own hotel room while waiting for a truck.

If I was you I would look really hard at Averitt, Schneider, Pepsi, and possibly KLLM. just my opinion

7. Dariq843

Dariq843 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2013
    SC
    I'll look into Crete/Shaffer. I'm probably going to haul dry van to start with.

8. BuckeyeCowboy63

May 28, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Id check Maverick too. If rider policy wasnt a big deal fod me Id be heading for little rock.

9. BuckeyeCowboy63

May 28, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    Crete is dryvan and shaffer is refers.

10. Davezilla

Davezilla Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    There are only three I would consider, in this order: Prime, Averitt, Werner.

Werner as a backup. People complain about Averitt giving them like 2500 miles... which is nothing to complain about. They are a good 2nd place.

Prime has the hardest training, but it also pays much better. About $600 a week. Half of the companies on your list would love to make $600 a week as a full driver... so its not bad. They will keep you on the road for a long time, the training is the longest I have seen... but do you really want to get dumped on the road without knowing what you should? I would have gone prime if I had known, but Im single and stay out for months and months...

11. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    Bill had him on the clock... but, he still managed to answer some questions... quite a few infact.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.