Best driveaway company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lawdog13, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Dokstrange22

Dokstrange22 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Met a few people from ATC drive away..you used to have to pay for fuel and they would reimburse 100% with your pay... And their pay is in between 75 1.00 per mile...but now they pay the fuel for you. But you are still responsible for travel and motel. Met a few guys doing it one guy cleared 95,000 last year another guy cleared 150,000. The later worked for 2 companies so he would cordinate his loads. Example: he will take a truck from GA to Ohio, then Pick up a truck in Ohio to Maryland..then from Maryland down to GA. No forced Diaspatch. But like another poster said on here..if you are not uses to being your own boss..then it wont work...its Lucrative you just have to really map out your runs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ArmyVet88

ArmyVet88 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Maryland
    I've worked for Truck Movers and currently work for Norton Transport, 3 years combined. These companies work off load boards that you can view. You pick the loads you want, when you want to work. You decide when to pick up and deliver. You set those details in before you're assigned the load. Part of the industry is being smart, especially when running singles for either company. Singles side of driveaway is shark infested waters, and you're a minnow. You have to plan your trip, look at where the load is picking up, and where it delivers. If it looks like it's out in the boonies, it's not worth taking, even if the load pays well. Unless, of course, you trip plan and see if there's another load picking up from nearby. Part of being successful on the singles side is cutting travel expenses. That's where most people fail. It's not hard to do if you're smart about it and plan. Pay generally equates to .70 cpm on singles, with a stipend included for fuel. Go over the fuel rate, it eats your pay. Hotels and travel is on you as well, hence the load planning. I made $3500+ a month running singles without fail for 2 years straight. That was take home pay after all expenses. Now I do deck loads, where you drive a unit with 1-3 other units stacked on top of eachother or towed behind on z-bars. That division has travel covered between loads, fuel reimbursement with receipts, tolls covered and permits reimbursed. They also provide lodging pay as well. Pay goes up to $1-1.25 per mile. I make anywhere from $1400-2300 a load, and can run at least 2 loads a week. I grossed 150k my first year, and then wrote everything off for taxes because you can. Take home is a minimal of $3500 a month depending on how hard I want to work, but can easily be $6-8k if you stay out and run, load board permitting.
    Cons-sometimes things happen, breakdowns occur. You might get set back early in the month due to travel delays and load issues. Load board might not be busy due to shortages of parts for the trucks (this year has been tires early in the year, and batteries currently). Perseverance pays off, so if you don't give up you'll still make what you need to. Big con is the manual labor involved on the deck side. You have to carry expensive tools everywhere, and you use them ever load. Tools break, make sure you have warranties to save yourself from big financial hits. The elements will always be there, so deliveries can and will happen in the pouring rain, high winds, scorching heat (100°+) and freezing cold (worse I've had was -20°F in North Dakota, not including wind chill). Blizzards, ice and snow are also a concern if you deliver out west and up north in the winter (I do because there's a lot of those loads available and pay is usually great, and I don't have to compete with the fair weather drivers for them).
    Long story short, I make darn good money, but I also work for it. I enjoy it though, so it doesn't really feel like work. At least, not until I'm standing in a dirt lot in the pouring rain trying to undeck a load. Then it's F.U.N.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.