Best equipment in Southern California ( dump truck)

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Navigatorpirate, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Navigatorpirate

Navigatorpirate Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2021
    Orange County
    Hi y’all! I’m moving back to CA soon and looking for a help to get a right equipment. Currently I own few trucks in NC but these trucks is not CARB compliant and will be for sale before moving. I doing good with job here in Charlotte, city is growing and construction is everywhere. Looking forward to possibly find right place to work with as contractor, company who gonna keep me busy. I know for small business CA is not best place, especially laws, diesel prices etc but this thread not about it. So, my main concern is what is the best setup will work - super 10( triaxle) or bottom/end dump trailer + daycab semi? Last one is more affordable but I heard super 10 most popular.
    All advices will be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Coming to California and starting out in the dump business with no contacts or knowing somebody on the inside is going to be a challenge.
    Do you know anybody out here at all that's already in the business?

4. Navigatorpirate

Mar 14, 2021
    Orange County
    No one in my surroundings in the dump trucking there. I know this is a challenge but very interesting to make it work there. I spent 5 years OTR when I lived in California that was very rough time for family. When I started dump truck business in NC the industry I had nobody and no knowledge but I could say I’m doing good. Just me and family want to go back to Cali. I believe I can find ends and start again.

Miyas and REO6205 Thank this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I've done dirt work in S. Ca. (and asphalt, sand, gravel) You can buy a power unit and work for a co. renting their trailers. Or, work thru a broker or an established co. with contracts. Talk with Robertsons out of Corona, CCC out of Fontana, Superior out of Escondido, Burns and sons out of Santee, or Johns out of Santee. You certainly will get some good ideas. Luck to ya'

6. Navigatorpirate

Mar 14, 2021
    Orange County
    Thank you Sir. Very helpful.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Navigatorpirate

Mar 14, 2021
    Orange County
    If you’re don't mind - how much they pay average for power unit/super 10 there? Is there lot of work possibly?

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I' ve been out of dirt work since 2004, but as I recall hourly to the truck was $70. So your power unit renting trailers has to be figured. Or, own your own trailers and you have no rental fee. Super 10's are popular also. You can get current rates by calling the co's I mentioned above. What part of Ca. are you considering moving to ? Also, a little tip for ya' .....any work with Cal-trans pays very good. And I'll add another co. to talk with, Granite, a contractor who uses outside equipment on their jobs, but travels all over Ca. Can't recall their home base tho.

Miyas Thanks this.
  9. Navigatorpirate

Mar 14, 2021
    Orange County
    Back in 2004 I believe $70 was I good pay. I called today at few companies, some answered, some not, but CCC is very busy and have a lot of work for bottom dumps and super10. I’m thinking to get semi+trailer because triaxle is not cheap due to CARB regulations.

At January/February we’re going back to Southern California (Corona/Riverside/SanBernardino)

10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I see more strong arm trucks than Super 10 out here in SoCal.

11. Navigatorpirate

Mar 14, 2021
    Orange County
    Those are hard to find and I believe they are not cheap. What is I get 22-24 feet end dump trailer? Is this legal in CA? I can haul more weight/volume than super10 with it. And still be under 80k lbs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.