Best Flatbed Starter Companies

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Chris Brooks, Mar 11, 2016.

1. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    First, if you work for a flatbed company there will be times you will tarp a lot...or a little. depends on the freight. If you have back issues dont do flatbed.

TMC has nothing to do with tarping. They just treat their drivers like trash and will fire them at the drop of a hat. They actually take glee and brag about booting people....especially in training for a multitude of petty reasons. How do I know this. Went to a Pub/Restaurant in Des Moines IA where some of the TMC minions frequent (probably because its a good way from the terminal and has no truck access). I was in town pricing and looking at some drop decks. There is a lot you can learn from a company then you hear TMCs supervisors and non driving employees run their mouths after 2 beers. All they did was sit there and brag and poke fun at the people they fired like it was some badge of honor. What a bunch off jerks. They were even souping each other up about canning even more drivers and taking absolute delight in it. I wish I got this on my phone video. (I took a cab to and from the Pub/Restaurant BTW)

I also met a new TMC driver at the Pilot in Des Moines the following day when I was getting fuel. According to him he was fired because he allegedly jumped off the flat bed trailer. The driver indicated that he was sitting on the trailer and just eased himself off the trailer while sitting on the edge. We was immediately fired. I have heard stories like this before. This includes firing drivers for walking on their lawn, and taking away safety/performance bonuses if the truck is not always clean to include no paper on the floor etc. Listen.....its a flat bed...its gonna get dirty. There is a difference between equipment neglect and being unkempt for a long period of time. If the find a gum wrapper on the floor you might loose your bonus. (They used to fine the drivers....but now they go after your safety bonus). said stay away from TMC.

TMC also likes to put on this pretend Military style persona that is nothing more than in house bullying and nonsense. I know many organizations that are operated by ex military and they don't behave like this. Its a scam to try and get prior service drivers to work for them so they can get tax breaks....then they run them off. They do the same thing to student drivers that get government assistance.

Stay away from TMC.

Consider Maverick Transportation or Melton if you want to learn about flatbeds, get treated right and get paid well.

Here is a link that will basically outline what they did to a few drivers.
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/tmc-t...bout-how-much-i-would-make-made-next-t-418243

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    ZephyrSoCal and LilRedRidingHood Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nb629

nb629 Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I started with TMC they are a good company. There securment training is excellent. Always liked when other companies drivers asked for advice when loading. As far the none driver employees you encountered in DesMoines. They were probably from the training dept. It's there job to weed out any potential liabilities such as guys who jump off trailers at orientation after they show you how they expect you to do it. I was amazed at how many morons got sent home from my orientation simply because they could not follow directions. Remember orientation is a job interview whether it's two hrs. or two weeks.

TokyoJoe Thanks this.
  4. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    Their idea of weed out is to play make pretend drill instructor. They can play make pretend military with someone else. Here you are calling driver trainees MORONS! Really.....

There are people thrown out of TMC for a laundry list of trivial reasons.....and the so called "instructors" take delight in it.

I am not talking about full on jumping off trailers. Everyone sits on the flat bed and slides off it from time to time....Including TMC drivers. They get their rocks off by screwing with people plain and simple. Amazing that Melton and Maverick don't have these childish issues like TMC.

5. nb629

nb629 Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2012
    No did not call trainees morons I said they weed the morons out of the group. The world is full of morons like You who speak of things they know nothing about. Did you ever attend their orientation or work for them? I did and was never treated like trash for even one second.

6. Beamer34

Beamer34 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Chambersburg, PA
    @nd629, I am just entering the industry and thinking seriously about TMC. Are you still there and what income can be expected as a new driver? Thanks in advance.

7. Punnisher

Punnisher Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Well Chris, the first thing I would ask if its not being to intrusive , is about your disability , because its a given that flatbed work is very physical in nature . I can tell you first hand there have been many times that by the time I got done chaining and tarping my wagon I was ready for a vacation much less a few hrs break. Flatbed work is hard work and don't let anyone tell you different , There were many a day when I was knee deep in snow freezing my tail off or dealing with torrential rain storms or ridiculously high winds or get this one which you probably would never think of , a load of flat stock in 110 Oklahoma heat that literally melted the neoprene on my boots, you don't necessarily get to load indoors in fact I bet 50% of my loads were outdoors and obviously your outdoors with that load for the trip so just because its 2 degrees outside and your load is covered with ice and there is a 25 mph wind out there doesn't mean you don't have to check those chains . So if your disabled you probably should think long and hard about this one . I have dragged reefers vans dumps and flatbed work is hands down the hardest work but admittedly I love the work more than any other trucking and I really can't for any one reason say why but overall that's my preference so I get it , but I'm retired now . Anyway its very hard physically demanding work so think about it .

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  8. nb629

nb629 Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Sorry for the late response. I haven't been online in a while. I am no longer with TMC and have not been for a few years. I now have a local job. TMC is a starter company that will provide you with excellent training in flatbed. As far as pay goes the 2 guys I still talk to that still drive for them have both made over $65k for the past 5 yrs. Central Pa is a great location for just about any kind of trucking so take your pick. Have you considered Tanker If I was stating out again I would probably go that route. Good luck with your choice and always remember its a job not a race.

ZephyrSoCal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.