Best GPS/Routing Systems

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jpeters72155, Sep 30, 2015.

1. jpeters72155

jpeters72155 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I have been asked recently to take a look at our companies GPS and routing software to possibly improve it and or go with a new system entirely. We currently use a company by the name of Fieldlogix and it does the basic's fine (glitches here and there though) and has some cool extra features that we haven't used. I've been reading a lot on what other companies use and some have said that they simply use the driver's smartphone and downloading GPS apps. Another thing we would like to find a system that will allow us to set routes remotely. So my question is...

What systems, software, and or apps do you all use for GPS/routing?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    My company uses Teletracs. It has truck based GPS directions, tracking, messaging capability and the ability of dispatch to download directions to each unit.

Sort of a poor man's qualcomm

20150930_193637.jpg

Thats the unit. It has a cradle that mounts on the windshield. The CPU and antenna are mounted behind the dash.

It lights up when the truck is started and goes into automatic sleep mode when the ignition is shut off.

jpeters72155 and TruckDuo Thank this.
  4. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Driver Tech with PC Miler

jpeters72155 Thanks this.
  5. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    P.C. Miler has served me well for many years.

jpeters72155 and TruckDuo Thank this.
  6. jpeters72155

jpeters72155 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback so far ya'll. I have read about Teletrac but not P.C. Miller, ill have to research them as well.

7. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    What dif does it make unless your company pays the MILES driven by your company's software generated route. If your software can generate a truck safe route in a timely fashion, I hope your company pays all the miles that route takes. If so, please provide company name so we can stampede that way.

8. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Rand McNally GPS used mostly as a speed monitor...google maps to check out end points

9. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I use a 10" Motorola Xoom android tablet with the Co-Pilot app. It's a bit large, and I almost want to try a 7" tablet. It has a lot of features and once you get the initial set-up done (trailer size, HazMat, et) it is very easy to compare routes for time, length, etc.

There are several apps you can use in conjunction with the mapping app. Apps for logbooks, truckstops, spreadsheet apps for monitoring fuel mileage, fuel cost per mile, etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.