Best Hometime

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by anthony1995, Jul 20, 2007.

1. anthony1995

anthony1995 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I'm starting CDL school in 3 weeks. My wife and I own a commercial cleaning company but I've decided to get behind the wheel of a truck and give it a try. The business is our primary source of income so this would be extra to try and get this darn mortgage knocked down.

Hometime is more important to me. Who are some of the carriers that hire newbies but also have a good hometime policy? I've heard Roehl does the 7 on 7 off and Knight has something similar although I think Knight requires some experience. Any other suggestions? I'm in a good freight area..Huntsville, Alabama just off of I-65. H.O. Wolding was also promising me weekend time off but it could be recruiter BS. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    You have several companies that will allow you to be home every weekend, and a few that offer 7 on 7 off. Just take a trip down to the Pilot, grab a couple of the trade mags, check the ads then check the companies on this website..

The majority that promise "weekends" at home try to get you there for 48 hours, that may or may not include Friday. It depends on the freight.

4. lugnut

lugnut Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Farkin, WI
    Hmmm....
    Trying to knockout a mortgage by driving. It won't be fast.
    Especially with maximum hometime.

I too tried trucking as a means to provide extra cash... it doesn't really happen. We own our home and trucking was supposed to be the tool I used to financially feed a new business endeavor.

Weeks are turning into months and there seems to be no headway.

5. K C

K C Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2007
    The Big Road
    Yeah, I was thinking something along the line of what lugnut was saying.

If you're really hoping to make money fast, taking frequent hometime is not the best way to get there.

The problem is this: Unless you get lucky enough to get a dedicated route right off the bat that gets you home after each load or series of loads, you have to request a load that gets you home.

Then you get to sit at a truckstop somewhere, making no money at all, waiting for another truck to come and swap loads with you to get you going in the right direction. Or worse, you're left sitting for what could be days waiting for a load to come open to get you going in the right direction.

All that lost time waiting to get routed back home again really eats into the ol' paycheck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.