Best job for grad

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Trevor19, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Trevor19

Trevor19 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2023
    Hello, I am graduating from a CDL school in TN on Feb 24th. My ultimate goal is to get into OTR doing a lease purchase at the soonest possibility. If my train of thinking is totally wrong I’m not opposed to some guidance or help. I appreciate any feedback, sorry this is short, I just don’t know what other info would help. License will be unrestricted, no accidents or anything crazy.

bryan21384 and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trevor19

Trevor19 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2023
    I live in TN as well, just south of Nashville.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm from just North of Nashville.
    So, you have all the endorsements?

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. Trevor19

Trevor19 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2023
    Yes sir, just no haz mat. They said I have to come back once I have my CDL for that one.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  7. Trevor19

Trevor19 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2023
    Thanks for the lead! I appreciate it.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It is IMO, ridiculous to volunteer to pay the very expensive costs associated with operating a commercial truck before you even know if you can or like doing the job you are about to start. Drive as a company driver for at least 1-3 years before you start paying those huge expenses. The companies push lease purchase because you are obligated to pay the expenses and they only "promise" to give you some freight. NOTHING in the contract you will sign without reading promises you the company will give you enough miles/freight to even cover those expenses, not to mention take any money home. What would you think if you said "hey, let's get some lunch" to your friend and he replied "nah, I think I want to buy this restaurant." DON'T DO IT. Most newbies entering trucking quit before they work for 12 months. Do that with a lease purchase and you will be owing thousands of dollars AND be out of work.

snowmantrucking101, 201 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  9. Trevor19

Trevor19 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2023
    Thank you for your point of view. I am transferring into this career coming from a long career operating power plants, our move from CA to TN has been a little lack-luster as far as continuing my career with power plants (crap pay, crap days off, no advancement) so I am pursuing trucking from an all in aspect. I understand regardless of lease/owner operator hopes and dreams I will have to do some time of some form as a company driver. The appeal of having my own set up would be determining my own days off, and pay based on how much I work. So in short there is no other option I’m 100% committed to making the absolute most out of this. Having lived in CA all my life, driving has never been an issue since a typical commute could be 4hrs round trip. And on top of that Ive never really traveled much so I would really like to see the US. All my kids are older and getting off on their ways so me and the wife could use it as an opportunity to travel and see some places and vacation wherever the road takes us.

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Let's have a Tennessee reunion here! I grew up in Murfreesboro. I live in Memphis now.

I do like the idea mentioned earlier of being a company driver first. It helps to learn while screw-ups aren't on your own dime. If you're a company driver first, you will see the dark side of an industry that people tend to over- glamorize. A company driver gets told what to by the company. In many ways, so does a lease purchase driver. A true owner operator or a lease operator gets told what to do by the market.

Vic Firth, tscottme and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.