Best Linehaul Company

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by moloko, Jun 3, 2018.

1. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Alright. I am a traitor who has abandoned fuel delivery for my new love, line haul. This is the easiest job I have ever done. We run as far down i5 as possible, which permits us to return to our domicile. I just want to know what the best companies are for this line of work in California. Go!

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Are you planning on moving to CA or stay in Seattle? Either way, you could check out DSV...formerly Market Transport....terminal on Marine drive Portland. Just got a pay package increase and miles are decent,very little layover, basically PNW to Bay Area and back or down to L.A. and back....big with Fred Meyer so drop on the north end.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
    Reason for edit: Referral mention
  4. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    I have a friend at Estes who makes $.65 cpm and is home daily. 67 mph trucks and as of yet, no cameras in the trucks. Old Dominion drivers always seem to love their jobs too, always look happy...

Texas_hwy_287 and moloko Thank this.
  5. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Which one of these companies offer weekends off, and low insurance premiums? This would be huge. I have heard amazing things about Old Dominion. I had ABF interested in me for a road driver position as well, I'm considering all options before saying yes

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Brah!

Straight to ODFL with you.

And get into their stock on the matched 401k - price is out of this world.

Texas_hwy_287, stwik and moloko Thank this.
  7. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Thanks. Everybody says Old Dominion is pretty sweet. I am looking at ABF's line driver position as well. But I'm tired of starting at the bottom, like most union jobs would do. I suppose taking a non-union driving job would have advantages. I am hearing excellent things about Estes and Old Dominion, let's keep this thread going though!

blairandgretchen and bertita1986 Thank this.
  8. bertita1986

bertita1986 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Subscribed.

Does ODFL stand as a recommendation for other parts of the country or just the I-5 corridor?

How do you land one of these linehaul jobs? What experience/requirements?

OP, do you already do linehaul?

9. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Hey hey! I got hooked up with a linehaul gig through a temp agency. I really like the job itself, but I would probably look elsewhere for a long-term job doing this line of work.

You could look at all of my posts going back to 2012 and see my entire career develop thanks to tapping resources on this site... I think some of my first posts are asking about how to shift the truck, haha.

I think ODFL are solid all over the country. I just especially like the drive up and down the I5 corridor. It's so boring, I know nothing could go wrong!

As a new driver, I suspect they'd start one off on the dock, then doing P/D work, and then you work into line haul. This is just how I think most operate. Really I don't know much about this, I've been busting my tail hauling fuel for like 3 years now. Welcome to the easy life. Holding that steering wheel and going on the straight path all night.

10. BossBigBore

BossBigBore Bobtail Member

May 31, 2018
    Western WA.
    I don't have my class A and I'm planning on getting it and going otr, or I would be interested in linehual so it is good to hear possitive things from a local driver. The auburn or kent terminal for estes and saia are both hiring drivers. Saia is a open shop non union.

fueltanker99 Thanks this.
  11. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    If you want to go straight to line haul, I think you can bypass OTR driving by committing to be a P and D driver first. Some real ### busting work , hauling a roll of 40' carpet with your hands kind of stuff. But the reward will be worth it. Might be something you'd like to look into, if you don't want to hop employers. Like you could hit up UPS Freight and I bet they'd take you in from the ground up. Eventually you'd get a line haul job. Or apply at UPS Parcel and haul packages around. Get a spot on the Feeder and you're set for life.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.