Best place to buy inverter?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Mar 1, 2021.

1. SRJ

SRJ Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I just purchased an AIMS Power Pure Sine 3000W from Home Depot. I believe it was on sale for $429. Shop guys first words, “holy crap that’s a big unit.” They made it fit behind the drivers seat.

Dino soar, Rideandrepair and 86scotty Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don’t buy a cheap one, almost all of them are Chinese made. Aims is one of the best, not cheap and made and service here.

Rideandrepair, 86scotty and Derailed Thank this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    DO NOT buy something like an inverter from Harbor Freight. It's going to have like a 30 day warranty. There's a reason something would be sold with only a 30 day warranty.

Tripp Lite - good units but too loud
    Yellow ones from truck stops are OK in my experience

Donrowe.com is a great place to learn everything about inverters and see what's out there.

I have an AIMS pure sine 2500 from Amazon. AC pass through, remote panel, 3 stage battery charger/maintainer and was less than $500. It's been going for 3 years strong. It is big, about 2'x1'x1'

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m in the market for a 2000w myself. Looking for a sale. Lol. Lot of crazy cheap ones online. Not sure if I trust them though. I’ve heard on here from a few others, Harbor Freight hold up well.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  6. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

Gave them a look and they're a bit more expensive now but seem well worth the price. I may pick one up once we're getting closer to having our sleeper conversion completed. AIMS also has a dual fuel 3800w generator for CHEAP that can be set to auto start when Batts get low.

@Rideandrepair $1700+tax for the pair mentioned above plus cost of installation and/or materials.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Dino soar and 86scotty Thank this.
  7. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Harbor freight. Paid for the extra warrenty. 2000 watt , still works after two years.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Wow, that is impressive, seriously. After the way some of their so called power tools have fallen apart on me I'll never buy anything like that from Harbor Freight again. I'd worry about it starting a fire or quitting when I needed it.

I bought a big *** shop compressor from them one time because the price was right, 90 day warranty. It died on the 91st day. No lie.

GYPSY65 and Dino soar Thank this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It's that aims generator a good quality? I've never heard of that name before as far as generators go.

There's a place online that has them on sale for $700. Free shipping.

That one will run 8 hours at 100% load so with a lighter load I guess it would run 12 13 14 15 16 hours?

That generator will automatically start to charge the truck batteries?

Can you set up other generators to do that?

10. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

I just went looking at the AIMS inverters and saw the generator. I'm thinking if you use the two of them together you might get by without idling (in the winter) for a couple days on 5 gallons of gas or 1 tank of LP. The inverter and generator have the same comm plus on them, so I *assume* (yep!) they'll complement each other. Add in an Espar heater and wake up every snowy morning toasty. I'm thinking 6000 watts on the inverter would run your fridge, microwave, oil pan heater, coolant percolator and a couple other things for a few hours before the genny needs to charge the batteries.

Summertime you've got your kitchen and an AC unit, which should be easy peasy for this combo.

11. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I have xantrex prowatt sw2000 ...dont even know why i installed it ...looking good for maybe 2 years already ... wasn't cheap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.