Best place to sleep, Truck stop? Rest Area? Advice please.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TunaMonkey, Oct 20, 2018.

1. TunaMonkey

TunaMonkey Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Hello I am new to OTR trucking and looking for some tips to make things as comfortable as possible. Please let me know your thoughts or ideas on best places to sleep in Cab?

BillStep Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    When you say "sleep in cab", I'm assuming you mean sleeper?

This depends on what part of the country you're in, and what's available. I only run Washington/Oregon/Idaho, and I have my favorite spots depending on the city I'm in/near.

4. TunaMonkey

TunaMonkey Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Yes the sleeper. In general are there pros and cons to truck stops vs rest area?

5. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Personal preference, really. My friend prefers rest areas, he hates truck stops, only uses them for fuel. I prefer truck stops for the convenience, amenities and security.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  6. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    When you are going town the road keep an eye out for possible places to stay. I had many spots I found that were nice. I tried not to park at truck stops unless I had to. Truck drivers can be a nasty bunch. However, when winter came I usually stayed somewhere that's was open 24 hr if possible. I always had a good sleeping bag but mechanical failure when it's below zero sucks. If you can get off the interstate the possibilities go up.

JReding Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Wildcat Ranch on US 95 in Nevada.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    in order from personal experiences.

1) truck stop for the conveniences.

2) rest area, as long as they have bathroom facilities at least.

3) customers property, with permission, maybe there is an eatery nearby, maybe not, so that's why you take some sort of food items with you. and of course, show respect for anyplace you park at, like do not litter, especially AT a customers place.....

gentleroger and JReding Thank this.
  9. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Depends on how I’m doing on food but I like rest areas. In and out quick, quieter, and a lot of times have cool nature things. Downside is the risk of getting murdered chopped up and thrown in the woods. Truck stops have shower, laundry and a store but it smells like raccoon piss and hopelessness.

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I usually sleep at my delivery. Then it's a guarantee I'm on time, most cases there is somewhere on the property or near the property to sleep. If that's not available, truck stops, rest areas, or any available lot. With experience, you will discover many places like another driver said..I'll park behind shopping centers sometimes.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Many rest areas are such that you can often find yourself unable to get out. Even going in, they can be full and you will find yourself screwed because a fellow idiot trucker blocked the bypass egress.

But both have their pros and cons and you’ll probably find drivers are split 50/50 in their feelings about both rest areas and truck stops. but I personally avoid rest areas for 8-10 hour breaks except in rate and unusual circumstances

gentleroger and JReding Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.