BEST places to RENT and LIVE with family NEAR OIL PLAYS???

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by M35a2, Apr 20, 2014.

1. JB1236

JB1236 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2014
    chicago area
    how about housing for few days? aroung OKC ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. michaeljcheaney

michaeljcheaney Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Wisconsin
    You should be able to find some decent hotels within a resonable distance of wherever it is that you will be applying at, although I would recommend making reservations a week or so in advance just to be sure.....
    Also either bring -or rent a car with- a GPS....the interstates are a mish-moshed cluster.....there are 5 interstates that run thru the heart of the city.....

4. M35a2

M35a2 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Thanks guys I really appreciate all the replys and helpful information!

5. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I strongly encourage you to learn how to use Priceline when it comes to motels. Do some research and you'll find some good info on how to get great deals. I have used it a lot when I ran otr...just to get out of the truck now and then...stayed in some very nice motels for $50/night. I remember staying at a nice place in OKC even. It wont do well outside of the larger cities or where the oilfield has taken over...but OKC is large enough that I doubt the boom has effected it that much.

snowman1980 Thanks this.
  6. M35a2

M35a2 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Doing some research and coming up short. Any suggestions on city's to investigate moving the family to, so I can work Texas oilfields? I have heard San Antonio, Galveston, Odessa/Midland, OK City and more.

Hopefully some you can chime in with examples of their own set up. I want to bring my family to Texas, AFTER I travel to Texas and find a oilfield trucking job. Thing is I want some info on what are good city's in Texas to live for the family life.

Years ago I went to Basic Training in San Antonio and Tech training in Wichita Falls. Besides that brief experience, I know nothing about where to look.

Thanks Ya'all.

Brian.

7. cmbks21

cmbks21 Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Midland odessa. - its a desert. Absolutely nothin to do. No state parks or nothin 250 miles to anywhere. Midland wou ld be a betrr bet. They got kid stuff in town. But odessa has an ice rink in the mall. But your in the desert

8. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Might be better to focus on the Houston/ Galveston area than Midland. At least you're nearer civilization. Galveston is an old town, a def possibility. Bear in mind too that if the oil thing becomes old and you want to make a change you could consider chemicals, so you'd be in the perfect place.
    Diversifying is a good plan.

281ric Thanks this.
  9. Aireal

Aireal Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Garden City, TX
    San Angelo, would be a nice place for the family. good recreational thing's to do, state park's, lakes and a river. A quick and mean search of Indeed.com and Craigslist ( not my 1st choice to find a job maybe but show's they are their) both showed plenty of job's, with Oil field companies. Water hauling, crude, gas, flatbed, roll offs, sand...etc.

Midland and Odessa have city park's, but not much in the way of water themed stuff, except pools. Their are museum's and other thing's of interest, but not as much as one would like to keep the kiddies interested. It's their if you look.

All three cities are in the desert, San Angelo doesn't get as cold. I'm pretty sure, with out looking at the wiki's that San Angelo is older and off the top of my head I believe Fort Concho is close to within the city limits. Lot's of historical stuff if you like that kinda thing.

Other than living around DFW, which does have some oil field stuff ( and traffic jam's up the wahzoo) I don't know about some of the other places.

I would be interested in knowing about the area around Corpus Christi ,I do miss tree's very very much.

10. cmbks21

cmbks21 Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2013
    I forgot about angelo. But fandango is right.

11. M35a2

M35a2 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Thanks guys for all the information and suggestions. It means a lot. I heard San Angelo sucks.....BUT I failed to mention my family is Filipino. Filipino wife and filipino/American kids. So pretty much they have never been to America. Gonna immigrate to Michigan when I am done in April of 2015 working here in Afghanistan.

So pretty much I hate to say it, but they really dont care as much as I do about where hey live, they have no baseline comparisons really. So in that regard I am lucky. As for me, I do care about recreational opportunitties, but mostly care about a safe city for my wife and kids and good decent schools.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.