Best Route....Louisville to Laredo

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Blind Driver, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    Getting to West Memphis is easy enough. I take 65 south to the Western KY Pkwy and work my way down. The problem I have is the entire state of Arkansas. Horrible roads all the way across as well as I35 from Dallas to San Antonio. Rough roads and I'm getting passed by cars doing triple digits.

Are there any good 4 lane state routes from West Memphis to Laredo?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You can drop down 259 and cut across between Tyler and Waco on 31 or take 79 and come out near Georgetown. Or drop down 59 via Houston. But I'd still go via the intrastate via Dallas unless you just have a lot of time to kill and want to see other roads. Texas backroads are enjoyable this time of year.

77 down through Victoria is not bad. Lots of ways to go and each has it's pros and cons

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Blind Driver Thanks this.
  4. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    65 s to 40 w t0 30 w to ar tx line. Well close to it. Look at your map. Go from Texarkana to Houston it's all back roads. That part will take around 6hrs if loaded heavy. Lots of towns .
    As for ar , there is a nice 2 and 4 lane hwy before you get to Memphis. I can't remember how to get on it exactly. It will take you to little rock.
    I had a wide load and got on it there.

5. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    I'm confused, you don't want to run 40>30>35 on purpose? I mean, sure, traffic is annoying and people in Texas must get a special badge on their gravestone if they die in a car going 100+ but it's still easy.

Google map it man. It gives you some options. Looks like you can go down from Texarkana to Houston on 59. Actually the whole way with a couple others on 59. It'll cost you at least an hour with going through towns though. And add that extra fuel from not cruising and stopping all the time. Or cut down 55 to 12 to 10 and then get on 59. That adds a bit of distance though.

pattyj and Blind Driver Thank this.
  6. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Well, since you originally said from louisville.....i'd go 65s 59s 12w 10w us59s. Adds about 70 miles, but better roads and you avoid the ridiculous stretch of road that is i35

spyder7723 and Blind Driver Thank this.
  7. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Agreed except...

I run Laredo to the southeast states and back to Laredo due to the freight availability on both ends. When I'm running Memphis to Laredo I take 55 to 12 at Hammond to 10 at Baton Rouge all the way to San Antonio then 35 to Laredo. It adds close to 100 miles but it takes less time and burns substantially less fuel than getting on any part of US-59.

Try to plan on getting to the east side of Houston between 9am and 2pm and you'll be able to cruise through at the speed limit. The other urban areas have minor delays at usual times. This route also has the most hole in the wall truckstops that never fill up.

Frank

Blind Driver Thanks this.
  8. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    I used to drive down 65, 20, 59, 12 every week a few years ago. I liked that route.

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Now that its finally open, one could also run i49 out of texarcana to shreveport, west to 79 to 59 to Houston.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  10. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Yeah, it depends on when I'm coming through. If it will cause me to hit San Antonio at rush hour I go US59, if not, I go through San Antonio. It's not much further distance wise to go through San An, but it's faster if you hit little traffic

11. Eska

Eska Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2015
    In texas there is one thing i avoid. Weigh stations, they dont open it to weigh trucks. They mean business and serious business. The one on I45 NB before Huntsville i avoid that one at all costs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.