Best Route to Pine Island, NY from Bloomsburg, PA?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Jan 14, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you get up into the head of elk (Aberdeen Maryland) towards the old Tappan Zee and associated trails those were the main routes used by the American and French army as they made a almost 600 mile march to Yorktown VA in a effort to trap the British under Cornwallis there. One of the biggest motivators was from De Grasse a French Admiral and a wealthy man he committed almost 30,000 in then personal money in silver and letters of credit drawn on his property back in france. Much of that money was converted to one final payroll for GW's Land army before they would take any more marching orders to anywhere, pay us they said. And so they were paid.

Its really hard to get away from some of the routes cut through the forest dating back to before we were America for military purposes or even indian fighting to secure then new frontiers. Then you brought in freighting and post riders etc.

booley, PE_T, 25(2)+2 and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Funny you mention Aberdeen in that context. There’s a historical plaque along Pulaski Hwy in town about George Washington marching through there on a route between Annapolis and Philadelphia. Generals Hwy coming out of Annapolis was part of that route, which is how it got that name.

x1Heavy, booley and PE_T Thank this.
  4. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    I may be wrong but I think some of those restrictions popped up after they closed Rt 209 to trucks in Pennsylvania. There might also be a restriction on Rt 94? I think they might have been trying to prevent drivers from coming up with another shortcut to replace the old Ho Chi Minh Trail...

IH Truck Guy, MACK E-6 and PE_T Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    94 in NJ?

I’ve been up through there before. If there’s a restriction there it had to be fairly recent.

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    I think it's farther up in NY. I used to run NJ94 myself from 80 up to Rt 206. When Bethlehem Steel was still open but 209 was closed, ran 206 and 94 sometimes...

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Last time I’ve been up that way was with a flatbed load of shingles to Kuiken Bros in Warwick, NY. Seemed like the best way there, but it wasn’t a particularly fun ride with 47000 lbs of roofing on board.

booley and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.