Best strategy: New load and how much gas in tanks before geting the load

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SatelliteSender, Apr 14, 2012.

1. SatelliteSender

SatelliteSender Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Las Vegas
    If you don't know what your next load weight is going to be, how much fuel will you have in your tanks before you make the p/u? (or do you know the load weight before you get to the shipper?)

Full tank? Half tank? Are there different strategies for different situations? If so, any examples to be shared and why would be appreciated. Wannabe curiosity.

:biggrin_2554:

Thanks. SSender

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 3 steps

3 steps Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I would say you don't want any gas in the tanks at all.

Diesel fuel, on the other hand, might work.

TooGroovy, Eagle_Eye, JohnBoy and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Some shippers like Anhueser Busch(sp) will preweigh truck before loading. This so they can see how much they can put on the trailer. Anyway IMO its always a good idea to fill up prior to loading. Its easier and cheaper to unload a pallet or two than to put fuel the truck every day.

SatelliteSender and allniter Thank this.
  5. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I always went in with full tanks so they wouldn't load me so heavy that I had to keep my tanks low !
    I have had places load me on the scales so they can ship every ounce they can !

SatelliteSender Thanks this.
  6. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I've had it happen a couple times where I was too heavy to take their load and they refused to take product off. That costs me money in the fact I have to retreat back out to a nearby truck stop and wait for some other load. If I drove 100 miles to get the load, I won't be paid the empty miles either. So it becomes a double whammy.
    My strategy is to try to show up at the shipper with no more than about 3/8ths fuel. Sometimes though, they want you to have a minimum of 1/2 tanks so you can go the minimum distance of 200 miles before stopping due to the high dollar sensitive freight back there.
    As an owner operator I generally use 7 miles per gallon as my factor for each load and how many gallons to buy and still be profitable. I don't like to over buy fuel too often unless it benefits my business tax-wise or I know for sure there will be enough fuel left over to run that one more load before the week ends on the fuel I have left. So I would generally put in about 65 or 75 maximum gallons per day. Usually just 50 to qualify for that free shower.
    The other day I was real low on fuel, I grabbed 50 gallons before I got to the shipper, got loaded and went right back there and grabbed 50 more. This was in Wisconsin (high fuel tax). Then jammed down to Bloomington IL and grabbed 60 more gallons (enough to finish the load) for the 3rd time that day. Plus I had to put the trailer in the shop for a burned out light and scored 4 showers on the day because the light work costs $52 buck (anything over $50 gets a free shower).

7. SatelliteSender

SatelliteSender Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Scottide67, I like your business savvy. Conservative $ output, tax-breaks maximized. Doin your way. Your dime and your time.

Thanks for the viewpoint.

SSender

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I read a post here on TTR where the driver stated they could not be dispatched on a hival load without having 3/4 full tanks. I guess it's a balancing act in the end.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA

That second $50, 30 minute fuel stop cost you $9.50 at $0.38cpm for a $10 shower ticket. You're an O/O, so it probably cost you MUCH more. And it could have cost you a 1500 mile run because you were 30 minutes short on your 70 for the week to be able to accept it.

scottied67 and Pmracing Thank this.
  10. Big Jay

Big Jay Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2011
    litchfield, mn
    It sucks having to go back and lose a pallet. It happens. It will happen. I go in with whatever I have. Never really think about it. If I know its gonna be on the heavy side I go in light on fuel otherwise I just show up. I seem to spend a lot of time right around 80300. Might be my number. Old heavy Pete and stainless spread.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. AM77

AM77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    business savvy, but pays $52 to a shop for a burned out light on a trailer? :biggrin_25513:

Tazz, scottied67, Hitman and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.