Best truck for car/camper hauling

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Freak_On_A_Leash, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Freak_On_A_Leash

Freak_On_A_Leash Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2016
    South / Central Indiana
    I am looking into starting a car hauling deal and I've tried searching on here for this information for give me if I missed it feel free to post a link on here in the comments. I would be pulling a 5 car trailer 4 large campers I have already have a Class A what would be best suited for this startup I was looking at a brand new Chevy High Country dually with the fifth wheel. I'm not really sure the semi I drive has a Detroit in it and it is powerful and in my opinion much better than a Cummins which is why I really don't want a Dodge but I'm not sure about Duramax or Powerstroke. I would also be using this truck personally here in there so it will need to keep have a bed. Any advice thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    5 cars on a dually? No, just no.
    Is your primary goal to be a car hauler or campers?
    Your own authority or lease on to the rv haulers in northern IN?

The guys that made money hauling campers years ago used single axle haul & tow set up with a sleeper powered by a 11-12L engine. Take your pick of mfg's with or without all of the emissions junk.
    I know a lot of people run dually's beyond their intended purpose. But take a ride in one fully loaded across the Appalachians or any of the 11 western Rocky mountain states. You will swear Fred Flintstone brakes are a real thing trying to get one stopped on a steep grade. ;) Besides, how much do you think that $60k+ dually will be worth after 2 yrs of commercial use?

If you are looking to move campers, take a drive up to northern IN & talk to people around Elkhart. Talk to as many as you can that are running all sorts of equipment. Talk to Shipshe trailers & ask what they see the most of if you are looking at the camper segment. Also know someone looking to sell their Shipshe trailer currently that was not used much. If you are looking to be a car hauler, find a local Adesa or Manheim auction & go hang out. Watch what people are running & ask questions.

4. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Don't run a dually you will regret it. Get a setup like Hulld's see thread below

Trying to make a silk purse out of my max 6

You can get a single axle Cascadia like this one

2012 Freightliner Cascadia 125, Hildebran NC - 5001196120 - CommercialTruckTrader.com

Any gooseneck trailer can be pulled with a regular tractor, and you will be more comfortable in the big rig.

Hulld Thanks this.
  5. USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi

USMC '74-'78 Semper Fi Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Mount Union, PA
    I've been running a Chevy 3500 DRW since Feb 2014 and I fully concur with the above advise. Been thinking about moving into a larger setup, 4 or 5 cars, and I'm getting more and more convinced that a single axle tractor w/sleeper is the way to go should I move to a larger trailer. I am not saying that what I've been doing has been good, it just that I'm very limited in what I can load based on the GVWR for my 3500. 29,200# I believe that a 4500 or 5500 would also limit what I could haul based on the GVWR. I believe the ride in the tractor would be better and it has the sleeper. Thanks,

RV transporter Thanks this.
  6. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    The ride is definitely wayyyyy better, my Cascadia with airliner (airbag) suspension oh so smooth, my dually with air-lift in the back give me back pain ;-)

7. Freak_On_A_Leash

Freak_On_A_Leash Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2016
    South / Central Indiana
    Thank you guys as always very helpful I love this site! I've been considering doing the rv thing but there's a lot of negative feedback on that as well. The big rig I think is going to be my choice and a good car trailer. Hell I might just go all out and get a 53' van too. I've gotta get my ducks in a row. The startup is the hardest part (financially). Thanks again in helping me decide!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.