Best Truck GPS to Buy?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by uspl1, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jeff611

jeff611 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Delawhere
    Yeah, I apologize. My phone is a bit of a pain to do this on I tap a comma or period and it doesn't show. I'll try and de-clooster- fook that post.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jeff611

jeff611 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Delawhere
    There we go... better?:yes2557:

4. ThisGuyDrives

ThisGuyDrives Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I saw that, however since I bought it and it says it's for trucks and it's the same company, you figure one would be as good as the other regardless of model. If the dezl is that much better than I clearly got ripped off cause it is worthless about 80% of the time. Just the other day it wanted me to take a route that was 45min more driving time than my Rand McNally. Crazy.

5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    I have both the 465 and the 560. IF it is a routing issue and you have updated the maps (i.e. they are on the same version) then the route decisions will be the same with the exception of anything that the 560 "learns" from your driving habits through the same area multiple times if you are using the "MyTrends" function. There is a bigger screen and quite a few software feature differences but the maps and routes all come from the same place.

Ukumfe Thanks this.
  6. mrseaverson

mrseaverson Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Has anyone tried the Cobra 6000 pro HD? I am looking for a good GPS and I am seriously considering this one. Any help would be appreciated

7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    I cant say anything about the 465 model.

The 560 has had some changes. The newest version had some different features. not using NTTS, now they are using Truck Down.

Also, the newest version seems to have a better routing algorithm.

8. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com

Agree. As with every model since introduction (regardless of brand) each one is a "step-improvement" over its predecessor. And I concur that the 560 is no exception to that trend in several aspects.

9. Espressolane

Nov 21, 2009
    A few other things I note on the most current 560.

Seems to have a better or faster processor. knocks out route calculations in seconds flat. Also could be the better routing helping here too.

Did a 5 stop run from Antioch, CA with a final in Canton, MA. Stops in IN, PA, NJ, RI.
    This route took all of a minute to calculate.

Not sure how to really check the satellite receiver, but seems to see and use more of them than my older 560.
    I noted that it seems to be more accurate on location

10. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    The 465 had a weaker sat receiver inside from my tests. Like, the weakest of about 10 units sitting here actually. I got the old "lost satellite reception" verbal notice far to often. Both of them can get interfered with rather quickly by external signals, but the 560 is clearly a stronger (and possibly better shielded) circuit than the 465.

If you tap the little signal strength indicator in the 465 main menu (upper-left) it brings up a visual view of satellites seen. Same thing with the 560, but you have to hold there for a few seconds when you tap it. I've seen CB's, XM radios, windshield cams, cell phones all mess with the position signal strength. So using this screen (or the equivalent type of screen found on other brands) you can maximize the signal by experimenting where you place it in the truck and what things are near it.

Camera input is pretty neat on the 560 too.

side-by-side pic

Attached Files:

11. Espressolane

Nov 21, 2009

I have looked at this screen on the 560. The ones you posted do not look the same as the newest version of the 560.
    I'll see if I can get a screen shot to post.

The "lost satellite reception" thing....Yeah On my older 560 it did seem to do that a bit more than I would like.
    Not had a lot of problem with external interference. Airports with military operations seemed to be the only exception.

I have mine on a suction cup mount, about a quarter of the way right of the center post in the windshield, just slightly below the dash line.
    This is in a 2013 Cascadia, with no visor. seems to be the strongest signal point.

I do wonder what Garmin was thinking with the bean bag thing. It's nice, but pretty much useless.

The actual mount thing that the device sets in is cool. I like the way the power connector is on that part rather than into the unit its self.
    Seems more durable that way. I still put a strip of duct tape over it, just in case!

I did use the 300 model for a long time. Got it from an RV dealer. A national one you see all over the place. Was supposed to be a "special" for them. Had a truck and large vehicle / RV settings. was sort of funny, had all the KOAs, good sams and thousand trails listed.

Ask Garmin about it and they say never made it. No records of it. Used that one for 7 years before retiring it.

Speaking of Dashcams. Do you guys do them? I can't remember the brand, but there is one out now that has been getting a lot of play.
    Any words on those?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.