Best trucking job that will work with my Military schedule.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by goodlife1990, Dec 31, 2019.

1. goodlife1990

goodlife1990 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Mississippi
    I am currently a teacher in Mississippi and recently join the army national guard. After this school year, I will go back to driving a truck, if possible. My biggest concern is 1. not making back in time for drill 2. not being able to exercise. I use to work for KLLM about 4 years ago and when I drove for them, I was also in the military. I got fat and lazy.
    I am basically looking for the best company that will work with getting me home on time and allowing me time to exercise. Also, I will look locally, but there is no guarantee that those jobs will be available when the school year-end.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There should be no barrier to you going up to your Unit when you are called up. Exercise, training, deployment to combat or elsewhere etc.

However. That truck and it's load delivers first before you get out. That means dispatch will send you team to get your load off you while you either bobtail or fly home etc to your Unit. If you are absent from your unit because of trucking then your commander will have to raise some hell with your company dispatch.

Truck comes first. Everything else related to your life is last with the exception of federal call up to active duty. You will be on your way asap.

goodlife1990 and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trillium Staffing maybe can work something out with you.
    Many drivers found this to be the perfect fit because you work for the staffing agency and they pay you.
    This agency places you with various trucking companies, depending on what's available and what fits your needs.

goodlife1990 Thanks this.
  5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Unless your unit gets activated its 1 weekend a month and two weeks during the summer.
    You should have or will get a schedule of which weekend it will be every month. I cant think of many, actually any companies. That cant get you home on time for drill with 3 weeks notice. Or even better if you give your schedule for whole year. However if you do miss a drill every now and then. It wont be the end of the world. But NEVER 3ver miss your two week summer training. That's article 15 territory.

6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    There's always time to exercise on your 10 hr break. You can walk around the truck stop/ shipper, and you can do exercise in and out of the truck.

goodlife1990 and starmac Thank this.
  7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Exercise, if you want to do PT. You will find or make time. Every driving day you have to take both a 30 minute and either a 10hour or a 8 and a hour break. If

rachi and goodlife1990 Thank this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I had a cousin in the guard, that got into trucking, after a while he gave the guard up, as it was a pain to be where he needed to be, when he needed to be there.

9. Bro_Dave

Bro_Dave Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2013
    My advice would be TMC.

10. goodlife1990

goodlife1990 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Mississippi
    I do know some truck stops have a gym, which is great, but my weakness is running. If I don't run at least 3 to 4 days a week, I will not pass the running portion of the test. Also, I don't know how it will look running around a truck stop. Some people have told me to get a planet fitness membership, so I can use their gym.

I have been looking into TMC. Does TMC drive 10 speed, auto, or 13 speed?

11. Bro_Dave

Bro_Dave Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2013
    I was there 10 years ago. At that time it was 13 speeds. Not sure what they're running now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.