best used semi truck to buy. Debating on a Mack or freightlinner

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by abangela, May 22, 2012.

1. abangela

abangela Bobtail Member

May 22, 2012
    isanti mn
    best used semi truck to buy. Debating on a Mack or freightlinner

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DIRTROAD

DIRTROAD Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Mack would definitely be the pick between those two choices. Many variables to consider though. Need more information to formulate a good answer.

4. abangela

abangela Bobtail Member

May 22, 2012
    isanti mn
    mack kinda expensive. being a novice i like the frieghliners with a cat engine 475 hp engine.

5. 001trucker1972

001trucker1972 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2012
    marion,ohio
    International 9400i with a cummins isx

Infosaur, tech10171968 and Third3y3guy Thank this.
  6. Big_m

Big_m Heavy Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Central Maryland
    I've owned a few trucks over 25 years. All Freightliners with Detroits. Like the Power and Fuel mileage. And the ride is very good.

doc43204 and Therookie Thank this.
  7. monkeypuncher

monkeypuncher Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    dallas,tx
    Freightliner with a good ride? What are you comparing it to?

8. monkeypuncher

monkeypuncher Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    dallas,tx
    Depends on what you are using it for.

9. rogerbeep

rogerbeep Light Load Member

May 14, 2012
    johnson city, tn
    Peterbilt, or kenworth,

10. UFO

UFO Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2006
    lebanon in
    WRONG! if you are looking for a "starter" truck, i would buy freightliner only. a mack is a great truck, but parts are usually "mack only" and expensive. also, mack dealerships aren't located in as many places, so breakdowns on the road, and that DOES happen, could last longer while parts are being shipped. there's a reason why not many companies who run coast to coast buy mack trucks, and it has to do with money.

as for the trucks made by paccar, well, expect to pay about 7 to 10 grand more up front, and about 30% more for parts made exclusively for pete or k.w. simply because of the name. remember, other than mack and in some cases volvo, all trucks are "gliders" when assembled. pete doesn't make engines, transmissions or differentials. there's no such thing as a peterbilt air compressor, or brakes. those components are made to fit any truck, with some things, like suspensions, made to fit only certain trucks. that said, you can still order a k.w. with neway air ride, or steel wheels. you simply pay alot more for parts that have the name stamped into them. personally i don't care for a 60 year old cab design with a narrow cramped cab that cost thousands more. but then again, i work for the money and not to impress anyone. remember, they all make the same money nomatter who makes the thing, and a truck on the repo lot doesn't make anyone money, but does represent alot of heartbreak.

generally, people who don't own a truck or never have, start yelling "peterbilt" first thing. they do that because they don't have a clue in hell. one day, when you have the experiance and money, you can buy what you want. there's a reason why most people don't buy a corvette for a first car.

as for what i've bought, i've stuck with used freightliners. they cost less to buy, insure, and parts are less expensive and you can buy them anywhere. i keep everything clean (frame and underside too) and upgrade to my own liking with the money i saved when i bought the thing. i stick with detroit because i've had great luck with them, and run them to about 1,300,000 before getting another truck. i consistantly get around 7 to 7.5 m.p.g. after reprogramming the e.c.m. (not for speed, but for power to minimize downshifting, although any truck i've ever owned would easily run 90 m.p.h. if i were stupid enough to run that fast).

as for cat engines, yeah, they are powerhouses, but parts are stupid expensive, and generally, they are a 5 to maybe 6 mile per gallon engine. great for heavy haul and off road, and for an EXPERIANCED driver who really understands how to make the most of them. that would not be you, or most drivers for that matter. expect over 20 grand for an out of frame major overhaul. by the way, you DO know cat went out of the business of making truck engines a few years ago, right? the factory no longer has any interest in trucking or supporting trucking in an way.

ask yourself what would happen if you snapped a crank the first year and wiped out the block. could you afford to fix the thing or would you be out of business and bankrupt? lots of guys lost their houses, marriages, and ended up broke on their butts by stupid, inmature thinking and trucking will take you there faster than about any business i know of.

as for the other trucks, international i would recommend to nobody. they are mostly a throw away after a few years truck, cheap made, and not made to last, and usually don't. there are exceptions, but not very many. most older internationals other than farm trucks, make it to the scrap yards alot quicker it seems, and most ofthe time, they are ready for exactly that. again, there are exceptions, but not very many.

with volvo, they seem to hold up fairly well as long as you don't run a volvo drivetrain. an example is the volvo air compressor, which has a high failure rate, and costs about 1,500 bucks. a volvo with a detroit or i.s.x. probably would hold up pretty good, be economical on an overall basis (again, insurance is part of that figure) and like the freightliner, would pay for itself much faster.

lastly this. ask yourself what the hell would you do if you had a major expense 2 weeks after the truck goes out of any warranty. most used trucks are sold with a 50/50 warranty, and if an engine repair costs 14 grand, you are on the hook for 7. you got that kind of money, plus not having any income for as long as 2 weeks? remember, the bills go on nomatter if you have the money or not.

if you honestly don't have the financial backup to support you, your family, make payments, run your house and you life for at least a month, you would be an idiot destined for bankruptcy court. the second truck i bought i bought for for pennies on the dollar due to the previous owner having a motorcycle wreck and not being able to work for 3 months. a very nice, well kept freightliner flat top with all the bells and lots of stainless and chrome, new paint, new engine, rebuilt trans, full gauge package and stereo, with 2 new elderado seats, and i bought it for cheap and made good money with it after the guy before me spent thousands of dollars on it, but didn't have enough to run his house while he was off work.

can you do that? if not, don't go into business for yourself, and by the way, the SECOND you sign the title or finance agreement, you are no longer a truck driver, you are a business person. unless you are stupid, and alot of guys are, you make your business decisions on a business level. profit and loss and what makes sense. most guys fail because they simply can't do that. by the way, if you don't have at least 2 years o.t.r. experiance, you don't have the beginning of a clue of what you are getting yourself and family into and are thinking more along the lines of a 5 year old girl rather than a logical adult. try very hard not to be stupid, and there's at least some hope for you. not much, but some. take advise from people that have at least some grey hair, and have been successful. there really aren't that many of them, so you will have to look. even then, be careful and think things through.

best of luck to you. i wish you well nomatter what you decide.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  11. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Buy the 1 you can AFFORD and will do the JOB ,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.