Best way/places to find drivers?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by riggins44, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    What’s home time like? For me (23 years experience) if I’m out two weeks then I expect a minimum of 4 days off if I was even looking at a job that kept me out two weeks. And layover and detention lay need to match what I would make if the truck were moving.

Coffey and Rugerfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I think 10-14 days out is about perfect. Then have 2-4 days off. Full days off

riggins44 Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. riggins44

riggins44 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2020
    That's exactly what we do. Two weeks out and 3-4 days home, depends on where you live for the 4th day, but usually it's no problem. As far as layover, it's trucking, so things happen, but we pre-dispatch. It's seldom an issue where we are laying over anywhere. If it did become an issue, I'd expect we'd have more empty trucks anyhow ha. Good feedback, we'll look into it and I appreciate it!

6. riggins44

riggins44 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2020
    That's a problem of running with a smaller carrier. We're unable to get insurance rates that are competitive as some of the larger guys are able to get. The deductibles will eat your lunch. It's something we discuss with each driver in our first call. We show them what we can offer and then look at other avenues we can go instead to assist. As far as 401(k), I wish, but not at this time.
    We don't have some of the other benefits that the larger guys have, but we will soon.
    One thing we do offer is a company that isn't full of empty promises and we treat every driver like family. Plus we won't throw a camera in your face and make you run 62mph ha. Good points though, I appreciate it!

Midwest Trucker and Rugerfan Thank this.
  7. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Do you have pictures of your equipment by chance?

8. riggins44

riggins44 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2020
    Yes sir. We run 579 Petes and T680 KWs pulling reefers and dry vans. We had to convert our Facebook page, but it will have several pictures of what we run. It won't let me emded the link for some reason, but it is below.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Good drivers aren't hard to find but they're hard to get and even harder to keep.
    If you're not offering any benefits or even a 401k you're not going to get the cream of the crop. You may not even get drivers who are competent and trustworthy.

You might end up with rookies right out of driving school or experienced drivers with personality problems, drivers who will steal from you, drivers who will be chronically under-performers, and drivers who'll tear up your equipment. The worst will do any or all these things and also aggravate your customers. You don't need that.

Offering benefits isn't a magic cure-all to the driver problem but it's a start. When it comes right down to it you can't afford not to pay benefits. You, as the owner, will have to take a lesser cut of the profits and pour that money back into the company...at least for a while.

mwhjr1988, '88K100 and Old_n_gray Thank this.
  10. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    Great drivers do not work for free.

mwhjr1988 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Out of curiosity, why won't you hire someone with a CA or AZ license? CA is kinda of strange, with its own can of worms, so I can see possible reasons for that. But AZ?

• Truckers Report Jobs