Best Way to Get Rid of Truck: Whole or for Parts

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rmgt, Jun 9, 2008.

1. rmgt

rmgt Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Spring, MO
    I have a 1995 Freightliner FLD112 with flat top sleeper that I need to get rid of. It has 655,000 miles on it with a Cummins M11 (no jake) and Eaton Fuller 9 speed transmission. Air ride, all 10 wheels aluminum, all drive tires matching recaps at 90%, matching virgin steer tires at 75%.

It seems that the truck is worth more for parts than it is as a working truck. It looks like I might get around $5000 for it if I just sell it whole, but the parts value looks closer to $7000.

I have the space, time, and tools needed to tear the truck down and part it out if that would be the best way to go. Just looking for some opinions before I tear apart a good running truck. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    It would be quicker to sell it whole, I don't know what you'd get for the parts, either, but it wold be lots of work, it would make a good grain hauler, light weight and the tires are worth decent money especially on aluminum wheels.

Is the truck mostly working or does it need repair, You could take it to auction and reserve a price, it may bring more than you figure. If you like to take things apart, it may be worth doing it just for the enjoyment.

4. rmgt

rmgt Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Spring, MO
    The truck is in pretty good working condition. I can't think of anything that doesn't work, but it's definitely not a perfect truck either. The sleeper has been gutted, there's nothing in there except the bare aluminum walls. The steering is a little bit sloppy and everything is a little leaky and greasy. It could definitely still be used, but it doesn't seem like there's much of a market for these old almost worn out trucks.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    as long as it runs and is one peice i would agree and suggest looking into an auction or in the truck trader magazine and see what kind of bites you get for it.

6. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    If you don't mind the work you can make ALLOT more parting something like that.

As an example, pm me about the tires!! i needs some BAD . heck even if you sell it whole no sense in letting a good set of tires go I'll swap ya

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I have been rethinking it some more, you have a fair amount of scrap metal sitting there when you get done parting something out. The price varies considerably but generally peaks in the early spring up here. You might have a $1000 or more in junk.

8. rmgt

rmgt Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Spring, MO
    Yes, I just recently got done scrapping about $6000 worth of stuff this past month. My plan was to sell all the parts of the truck I could and then scrap the frame and all the aluminum from the cab.

I still believe there is more money to be made parting the truck out, it's just a matter of whether or not I will be able to sell all the parts. I can use ebay to sell some of it, but there will still be things like axles and the transmission that probably won't go over well on ebay. Duckett trucks has a truck salvage yard in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, about a 25 minute drive from me. I wonder if they would buy some of the parts....????

I really don't have any idea what some of the parts would be worth either. Any rough ideas on what the axles, transmission, and suspension parts would be worth? Thanks for all the help so far.

9. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    If you part I know buy who can polish your wheels on a machine and make them like new before you sell. Parting is such sweet sorrow because you have to figure how much labor it takes. I'd put it in the truck paper under book and get rid of it.

10. ETS FTW

ETS FTW Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2008
    a little south of sanity
    You said you have the time and space, two key things that a lot of people don't have. Also if you're not hurting for $$$ right now I'd say part it out. Hell you can even look at it this way, the $$ from selling the tires are going to buy you that big screen TV you want, the engine will repaint your house next year etc.

There is also another benefit from parting it out. You're gonna put a smile on someones face when they can get what then need for their truck from you. You just helped ensure their livelihood. I've done that with some cars I've had in the past, always put a smile on my face when I could help someone out and make a few bucks along the way.

Either way good luck with it :biggrin_25525:

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    unfortunatly the engine and trans are not highly desireable units. I'm sure there is someone out there who needs an M11 but it won't bring big bucks. the 9 speed you may as well sell for scrap. You can try to put it on ebay but it will go cheap. You could either remove the rear suspension and sell the axles and suspension as a set or you could just cut the frame at the back of the cab and sell it as a clip. Lots of guys restoring old spring ride trucks loof for this stuff. The air liner won't bring as much as if it were a pete low air setup but I know lotsof guys who like the air liner. Your best bet to see what stuff is selling for is ebay just look around at stuff and see what it's bringing. Ebay will be your best source for selling part, a salvage yard won't pay you anything since they want to resell them. It's all the little things that people will need. the stuf that is hard to find or expensive to buy new. ANd don't be too proud of the part, list them LOW with no reserves and people usually bid higher then if you have a reserve and they don't know what it is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.