best way to load 43,900#, 20 pallets, in a 53'

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sbarnes814, Mar 28, 2017.

1. sbarnes814

sbarnes814 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Hello, We are loading 20 pallets at 2,195# each. 48 x 40 in 53" dry vans for travel from Seattle to California. what is the best way to load this with the California bridge law? Do we need to worry about tractor weight? fuel level? Thanks for all the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Single in nose, then double, double til 2/3 loaded, then another single and rest double. That will take space of 22 pallets with 1000 lbs light in nose. You may want to turn the single pallets to make them more stable. I'm you will get more saying I am wrong, but it would also depend if you have a heavy tractor or a lighter one.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    All straight in
    Single double single double to end
    I actually prefer single single in the nose... and the doubles together and straight down the middle so about 4" of air space between pallets and the walls... save the trailer walls DRIVE CAREFUL...
    Show up with half tank or less of fuel

Edit.
    I'd do 2 singles in the nose then the rest doubled all the way back. You don't want the trailer axles all the way forward and be too much under 34000. You will be fine for 2 or 3 holes back from the front to achieve 34000 on trailer axles without going past usually hole 5 for 40' ca kpra rule. All straight in again.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    This. Single, single, double the rest, but I prefer chimney block. First two against driver wall, second two passenger.

But I'd go single, single what ever you do.

rearview Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Why chimney block? I hate doing that with regular pallets, with chep it isn't too bad. In the produce world sideways pallets are a pita at places that only have those smaller electric pallet jacks - the forks don't really fit in sideways pallets

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Not necessarily turn the pallets sideways, just keep them up against the side bulkheads, just touching, opposite side, every other layer. I think it secures the load better.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.