Best way to store and ship 2 20' containers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Ageek, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Ageek

Ageek Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Hi All,

I figured I'd go to the people that know on this one instead of trying to figure it out on my own and messing it up.

I'm moving 2 conex containers from California about 500 miles north to Oregon. I was paying to have these stored on someones property but it got sold and now I have to move them ASAP. I wondered if it would be best to have them picked directly up and moved directly to Oregon (then put in storage in oregon) or have them stored here (I'm having a rough time finding a place here in cali to store them and this is a pretty big city, but I'm still looking).

Could I pay to have them stored at a truck terminal for a few months or do they not do that? If so, how would I go about doing that?

Lastly, any idea what something like this would cost to move? How would I go about taking bids on this job?

Appreciate any advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There are container rental people who probably can move them somewhere. If you own a patch of ground big enough to set them down somewhere without people giving you a hard time then have it sent there. Don't forget to put some sort of barrier between the container and dirt or grass. Those things are very strong, but Nature tends to have her way given sufficient time.

The Container rental people will have specific trucks able to move the boxes safely. So it probably will be a small move, a job for them to earn a dollar moving your two boxes. Be careful to check your property zoning and what is allowed before you put them next to your Homeowner association shed. =)

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    small roll back wrecker can move an empty 20. A landol could move two

5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    But only self load one

6. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Since you’re shipping them 500 miles, it would be cost prohibitive to send them one at a time. I don’t know if it would be the cheapest way, but I think the easiest way would be to have a wrecker with a rotator come out and put them on a step deck with container locks. You can send two 20’ high cube containers out of California no problem as long as the total weight is under 35,000. Then have another wrecker rotator unload them at the destination.

Check with RV/boat storage lots. Maybe you could rent a 40’ space from them?

7. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Also, check with moving company warehouses like Allied and United. They sometimes provide storage for things like that on their warehouse lots. I’ve picked them up from those types of places before.

Since you called them “conex” containers I assume you’re military? Maybe check into a discount on storage or shipping as a thank you for your service.

8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Chain the two together first...

Load one and leave it on the tail, line up the 2nd and chain them together and load up...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.