Between a Rock and a Hard Place...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kodeblack, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Kodeblack

Kodeblack Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi everyone! I am in dire need of some good advice. Before I start, I've read a lot of good posts on here and tried to apply them to my situation and a lot of them came close, but not quite sure i found what i was looking for. And yes, its my first post...but I will reply to any questions to help give you a better picture. I will not be a "one post wonder"

Some partners and I started a box truck company March 2019. It has not been successful. Combination of being new to the game, unreliable partners, and box truck work drying up. The partners have no more money and one is declaring bankruptcy. All the debt falls on me. And yes, i know how foolish I am. One of the partners was a best friend of almost 10 years so the trust factor was high. Still...no excuse on my part. But whats done is done. The company is in debt to the tune of $58k. $25k for the 26' box truck we purchased and $33k in business CC debt. I have a FT job that is keeping me afloat personally.

Option#1
    Since we have our own DOT and Authority, I want to try to right this sinking ship by trading in my box truck for a tractor. I see a lot of opportunities in my area that i can capitalize on to pay down this debt and hopefully get into the black. However, purchasing the tractor will increase my debt to a total of 82k. Also, need to make a down payment of $6,600 (from personal account). $3,400 tractor and $3,200 insurance because current provider doesn't insure tractors. After speaking to an accountant, i would need to make a minimum of 4k/week to net $600/week after all expenses including paying a CDL driver. The goal would be $5k a week. $4k is possible at the moment in my area, but it is the holiday season. I was focused on box truck work the beginning of the year so not sure what the future typically looks like.

Option#2
    Try to sell the box truck and be done with it all. This would require me to payback $58k myself which i am really trying to avoid. I am the type of person that will go to hell and back to make something work. But sometimes you have to throw in the towel and it could be a good decision considering how far i am in the hole already.

My questions...
    Would you go further in the hole financially to maybe come out on top considering where i am at now?
    What does tractor work look like January-April?
    Anyone in the DELMARVA area offering consistent box truck work at decent wages?

If you've read this far I sincerely thank you and appreciate any good advice you may have.

I am expecting to get some replies (if not all) calling me an idiot or whatever else. If you do, at least give me some solid advice to go along with it.

Cheers!

diversifiedtruckingco Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you try leasing to an expediter company?
    Don't buy a tractor; you won't be able to afford insurance for starters; plus lots of other obstacles for someone with no experience.

Mototom, rachi and Kodeblack Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Option Three Bankrupcy.

You should already seperated by Incorpoeration paperwork legally your business of box truck which is failed. This will defend your personal assests such as cash, home or boat or whatever else.

BUSINESS BANKRUPCY is NOT THE SAME as PERSONAL BK. Personal BK is so restricted. Businesses BK is much more option.

You can with Business BK have the courts dispose of the business itself. Liquidate the truck, find out who owes what in business only and decide what to do with you all. DETERMINE if there is a crime, fraud and so on when you say you are being shafted by your partners deliberately sticking you with the bag and getting the hell out, friendships and feelings mean nothing here. Rats from a sinking ship.

DO NOT whatever you do... DO NOT DOUBLE down and sink NEW money of your own into this business. Its FAILED> done, dead, finished. You would be thinking like a gambler, I lost 5000 dollars just now in this game at the table, Ima go take out another 10,000 dollars from my wife and my savings account and throw that on the next hand.

STupid. You follow me?

Accept that the business is finished. Its STRICTLY A BUSINESS.

You can celebrate that you gave it a go. Building a business and maybe putting people to employement and so forth in America. It's incredible and awesome. YAY.

But its dead jim. To use a old star trek saying from the doc. What does Jim do? Not worry about it move on to the next thing. Dead is dead.

IF you did NOT INCORPERATE the BUSINESS then you stand to lose your home, contents, cars, boats and everything else. In some states you will be reduced to just 4 items.

One chair, one bed, one communciations device and one television. (Excluding kitchen cooking items) everything else will be trucked away by the sherriff by court order when your creditors secure judgement against you. This is law in this state. So Articles of Incorperation for the business is a defense seperateing strictly business and personal assets.

Everything in the business from the truck on down to whatever else the court can find will be liquidated. Poof gone.

You get to go home and enjoy life. Maybe decide on that tractor trailer. But right now the United States is going through a recession of a sort. People are racking up on credit things this holiday that they will still make minimum payments on a year from today due to their excessive credit spending.

Retail is breaking very badly beca8use of this. Credit has already broken across student loan, visa, mastercard, cars on down on and on on.

Trucking is for those who have good savings to carry their business thought these hard times. The rest bankrupt and disposed of. Thats you.

Whatever you have in your thousands of dollars in bank, under matress etc DO NOT USE ANY OF IT. LEAVE IT ALONE.

You are just throwing good money after bad and you might as well pile it in your fireplace and light it all on fire for 5 minutes for all the good it will do you.

5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I think there's your problem. You will trust a driver to work his ### off to pay your debt?

starmac, Farmerbob1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.OOIDA.com is a business website for the owner-operator and small fleet owner.

Kodeblack Thanks this.
  7. Kodeblack

Kodeblack Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Do you mean leasing the box truck to them or leasing on with someone? We were working with a LTL broker in Maryland for a while (had to at least the first 3 months because all big carriers wanted at least that experience) but there pay was absolute ####. So we went on load board grabbing loads instead to get all the money instead of paying to broker half of it.

8. Kodeblack

Kodeblack Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I thought about this and brought it up to the accountant, but she said since all the debt is on Business credit cards, i am still personally responsible since i was the guarantor. I have not seeked out a second opinion as of yet. I honestly want to be done with it, but the debt keeps giving me a reality check. If there was a way to make money in the box truck i currently own with hiring a driver...im in.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I meant leasing to an expediter company; problem is, you'd need to be the driver of your own truck to make any money.
    UShip probably use you, but their reputation is small paychecks.
    If you can't drive the truck youself, bail out, catch your breath, and maybe start over after the dust settles. Meanwhile, study trucking and form a business plan.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    If you chose your option #1 you'll be needing this contact.. Home in short time.
    Seriously, don't do it..
    Liquidate what you can and work out payments on the balance.

Farmerbob1 and Kodeblack Thank this.
  11. Kodeblack

Kodeblack Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    LOL i just might.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.