BEWARE: Black Horse Carriers, Inc. hiring for Aunt Millies Bakery, Lowell IN

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by The ADVOCATE, Sep 14, 2016.

1. The ADVOCATE

The ADVOCATE Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Here is some valuable information for you regarding Black Horse Carriers company hiring for Aunt Millies Bakery in Lowell Indiana. This is a CDL-A position.

When I heard they were offering a sign on bonus of $2500.00, I decided to do a little digging. First of all understand, like most companies offering a sign on bonus, they don't give it to you upon "sign on" as indicated. For this company in particular, you get 1/2 of the sign on bonus after 6 months, then the second half after one year, assuming you make it that long.

The first thing you must ask yourself is, "Why are they offering a sign on bonus?". Obviously because they are in great need of drivers. Second question to ask yourself is "Are they desperate for drivers because they are a ####ty company to work for and have high turnover? Is the pay below standard? Is this a new account for them hence the hiring push?" Well, below I will answer some of these questions for you. For reference, I spoke with someone named Paul who is the hiring manager for the Aunt Millies Bakery account in Lowell, IN.

1. His attitude was #### from the beginning of the phone call and only got worse as I asked all the important questions. This tells me his attitude may be a representation of the mentality of the whole management team -- not an advocate for his drivers, deceitful, and unapproachable.

2. Mileage pay = .45 per mile (Extremely low for Local and Regional pay in this area)

3. Pay per stop = $17.00. The driver is responsible to unload and reload their own truck (not at retail sites, but at small distribution centers.) I asked what the average time was per stop. Paul said, "Oh about an hour or so". My interpretation, count on 2 hours. $17.00 per hour for 1 hour is below standard.

4. Days off per week -- Two, not consecutive (together). Two days off in a row are not possible Paul told me.

5. Most days start at 1p.m. and go for "about" 10 hours.

6. Equipment: They lease Rider day cabs so the trucks should be decent. You will be unloading by hand with wheeled carts. No pay loaders.

7. Layover/Break Down pay. $4.50 per every 15 minutes. Good luck proving your time.

8. Detention pay: None apparently. Paul stated, "because the driver loads and unloads himself". Yes, but how long might you have to wait for a dock at each location?

9. Trucks have speed governors.

My Rating on this job? CRAP You may as well go over the road and make .50 cents or more per mile because by the time you get home from your 10-12 hour day there is no quality time left anyway. Just sleep in the truck instead and come home with a decent pay check.

The Advocate

free spirited1 and diesel drinker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CryoGuy

CryoGuy Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Hobart, IN
    Black Horse...you could have stopped there.

4. The ADVOCATE

The ADVOCATE Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Why?

5. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    How much experience do you have?
    I ask, because nobody with atleast a year's experience would think that a company is going to hand them a check for $2,500.00 just for showing up to orientation. If that was the case, I would try and live off of "Sign On bonuses" with every company that offered them, and never once step foot in a truck. Get it?

And (in my opinion) .45 cpm + & $17.00 a stop isn't too shabby. I drove for a company a few years back for .45 cpm and $15.00 a stop. Drove about 1,500 miles in a four day week, with 22 stops made $1,000.00 a week and had a 3 day weekend.

And $18.00 an hour for lay-over/break down seems more than fair to me. That's $432.00 a day! NOBODY offers that over-the-road.

You're either delusional, or very poor at math. Either way...good luck with that ".50 cpm" company you're looking for. You'll need 2,000 miles a week to reach that same $1,000.00 check, and will likely never see the house.

6. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    I can understand the op's frustration.
    If a company won't put sat tv in with all the movie channels, A recliner, and pay me .70 drop and hook with a guaranteed 3200 MLS, I won't even consider them.
    *Spits*

7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Are you giving them a rating of CRAP without even working there?
    Plus over here they have driver facing cameras

8. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Someone on this forum recomended me Black Horse as a good employer but when I checked reviews it actually looked worse than my current 1099 gig.

9. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Nothing good ever rode in on a black horse....

Finalsomnia Thanks this.
  10. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    So you called a recruiter got all the information and then came here to bash the company you've never worked for?

Let's do a review of your professionalism in writing unbiased reviews. Maybe you could do it yourself, you are...THE ADVOCATE. lol

TB John Thanks this.
  11. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    It's because they won't provide free flip flops, isn't it? The NERVE of some companies!!!

Broke Down 69 and Rusty Trawler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.