Beware Drivers near Tampa

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by fltrucker70, Jul 8, 2018.

1. fltrucker70

fltrucker70 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Watch out for Georgia Atlantic Transport hiring out of Tampa. Been a driver for almost 20 years and this was the worst place I've ever worked. Lies from the start to the end, advertised a weekly gross of between $1,300 and $1,800. Ran my ### of and never even saw the $1,300, more like about $1,000. They said they do direct deposit and they did my first few checks were in my bank early Fri morning and then they decided their version of Direct deposit was physically going to my bank and depositing a check (which happened later and later on Friday) so deposit wouldn't hit until next business day. Money games from a struggling company...... They do little or no preventive maintenance on the 3 trucks they own, so when your truck breaks down on you out on the road, prepare for you and the mechanic that works on it to be questioned to death to see if they can pin it on the driver and make you pay for it out of your check. I had more then one mechanic ask me what was wrong with the owner, he seemed determined to make this driver error when it was an issue that would have been found with regular pm's. Pays .38 cpm loaded, .20 cpm deadhead but if deadhead is under 20 miles you get 0. All broker loads with live loads and unloads, have sat for over 8 hours waiting to be loaded before and got paid zip for it because they claim they don't get paid detention time. They send you into places so tight and narrow that you better be a #### good driver or you won't make it out (I never had any problems but I know other drivers tore up their trailers, which you will pay for) the owner doesn't understand the 14 hour rule, he thinks if you are off duty while waiting to be loaded then it won't count toward your 14 hour clock. If you like lies, accusations and poor management then this your dream job! lol Probably could list tons more but I'm done wasting time on this company.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    Isn't it illegal to charge an employee driver for ANY cost of truck operation, repair and maint? It is in Calif.

ASHLEYDRIVER2013 Thanks this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Do you have a bad driving record? Tickets? Accidents? Bad CSA? I'm wondering why a driver with 20 years experience would go to work for .38 cpm.

RedKnight, ACO476, spyder7723 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Why would you think you would make $1,300-$1,800 with a pay rate of .38 loaded & .20 deadhead per mile? 3500 a week with no deadhead to get just over $1,300 let alone 1800.
    20yrs & your yanking trls for .38? Even with the above avg miles a grand a week seems about what you get for what they were paying
    It sounds like a bad deal but the easy math should of steered you clear.
    With E-logs it is better to get paid more per mile & the same empty & loaded then to hope to make the low pay difference up with more miles.

ASHLEYDRIVER2013 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  6. Scole1987

Scole1987 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Asheboro
    I've been driving for 8 months and I wouldn't work for .38 a mile. That woulda been my red flag.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've worked for less and still took home over a grand a week. Accessorial pays make the difference.

8. Scole1987

Scole1987 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Asheboro
    That's true but doesnt sound like they have good accesorial pay. Maybe he can enlighten us.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    Think I'd rather work at McDonalds operating the deep fryer.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Not me; I'd go with Carolina Cargo.

11. fltrucker70

fltrucker70 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Let me try and respond to all the questions, I have a clean MVR. Not a thing on my license since 2007 and yes I realize that at .38 cpm that there was no way possible to make what was advertised but when I talked to him about the job, he had told me it was a dedicated run from Tampa to NC then NC to Dallas and then back to Tampa, that the pay was not a cpm but rather a base amount. I was tempted by the home every weekend aspect of the job (which of course was for your reset) but once I had quit my old job and was literally loading up my gear into his truck is when he comes out with oh by the way, job pays .38 cpm crap. I should have unloaded my gear then but I have a family to support and bills due every week so I bit my tongue and thought perhaps the "Promised Pay Rate" would include extras that would get me to the amount talked about. I only stayed there long enough to see what the pays would be and after seeing that the promised pay was all a lie, I called my old company back and was gone. Gave this guy about a month of my time which was definitely a month too long. Like I said in my original post, Lie after lie and I'm an honest man so I like to think that most people are honest too, of course this isn't always the case. Right after I left, another driver left them so now they have 3 trucks and 1 driver but I did see where they were hiring again through Indeed. Left a warning review on that website too, the owner is slick and talks a good talk but he should have been a snake oil salesman instead. My own fault for being too trusting and wanting better home time but went back to Barr-Nunn that pays very well, just not home as much as I would like. Life of a Trucker though.....

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.