Beware of Americar Transport LLC Buena Park, CA 90621

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by captainmidnite, Jul 16, 2020.

1. captainmidnite

captainmidnite Bobtail Member

May 18, 2010
    Advertise on craigslist.
    Was shocked at mileage rate .40 cpm, but needed to make some $ after COVID-19 shutdowns, and was close to me in Orange County, CA.
    Did three trips/rounds in two months but spent almost 3 weeks of that time laid over on the road. Was going to quit after 1st trip, as issues with check writing my DBA on check, instead of just simply putting my name on check, so I could cash at bank.
    But to their credit paid me cash from ATM, after signing over check.
    So they have an explicit schedule/plan for loads which never works out, as is "irregular route" OTR.
    I ended up running like the devil on trips out and back, which they scheduled over 2800 mile loads in 4 days.
    Truck 2009 Volvo 13 spd Cummins was stuck on stupid at 71mph(I asked to turn up a lousy 4mph as go 1000+ miles AZ, NM, TX all states at 75mph even 80 mph some stretches on the 10 in TX but they said get insurance discount so drivers not valued even when got swollen foot from mashing the throttle trying to milk out an extra mph or two), though well maintained esp for 1,150, 000 plus miles on the clock. But they're one of these small companies that want to ALL maintenance back in CA, even needed repair like leaking clutch line/hose, I reported clutch issue just into LA which should of been repaired immediately, by time got to FLA, stuck in turn lane for three hours on get off ramp of the 75 to Pilot & Loves. I had homeless sign guy I gave a couple bucks to waving trucks and 4 wheelers around, of course I then put out safety triangles. They finally agreed to mobile repair to come, as Loves don't do clutch or transmission fixes. They suggest I get DOT 4 brake fluid to fill canister, so I walked over to Loves. Then asked me to cancel mobile repair! As most drivers know mobile repair will still charge for coming out once dispatched. I got fluid, then mobile guy showed up. Crawled under truck to confirm was small leak in clutch hose, filled fluid, pumped clutch repeatedly, as was completely gone to floor board, so couldn't shift into any gears to move before. Said should be ok just keep filling up until can get fixed.
    Bill was like $300, which company whined about, saying he did nothing.
    Of course I'm only using clutch to start or reverse as floating gears of 13 spd, but by next day barely made it to pu once driving on city streets I had to fill again. Then after short run, going to another pu in Winterhaven, FL got on city streets again. Couldn't even make it to pu just around the corner, when lost all clutch again in traffic, but managed to pull into center turn lane, just before multiple active railroad tracks!
    Well sheriff lady rolled by asked if I have safety triangles? Yes but I explained only needed to top up clutch fluid then I could move.
    Well was too late by then for pu, but fortunately was at a Volvo dealer, Nexttrans. So was able to purchase clutch hose and more DOT 4 Castrol brake fluid for like $80 total cash, as wouldn't take card by phone. They did reimburse for hose.
    But leak obviously progressing worse couldn't make it 100 miles, then 25 miles even, they said could fix back in CA! Finally when I said I would be forced to park truck & fly home, they found shop 18 miles away. Got to a lot and dropped trailer at shop's direction. Put kingpin lock on. Bobtail to shop only 3 miles away lost clutch and rolled into country shop at night. But they had 3 guys went to work immediately replaced clutch hose in like 20 minutes. Payment was only $240, which company whined again incessantly about.
    So when got back from second trip, got check but they "held" $500 to coerce me to continue working with them. I asked for $500 check or cash paid when I pued next load out. They ignored request, said I can get $500 by cash advances, which is only $50 a pop each fuel which would take 10 fuel stops! , but card wouldn't work for advances within 24 hours.
    Then they had me pay cash labor for oil change at Petro NC, they had oil and filters in truck. But then said would bump up my cash advances to $100, but instead they cut off advances completely, which is my per diem on the road also still owed about $300. Then they preset fuels to only 100 gals. The guy "Mario" is a control freak over fuel, text "you will put in fuel West Memphis, AR" however I was in southeast VA at 1/2 tank. Doesn't take much of a driver to figure out wouldn't make it to next proposed fuel stop. TN along the 40 is like nearly 500 miles alone. So got into NC mountains, got 105 gals to get to next fuel stop. It was then advances were cut off, and freaked out calling & texting over lousy 105 gal fuel. Of course I had always sent copy of fuel receipt, which isn't necessary with almost every company.
    When I returned to CA, del a day early as hadn't told me appt. but no credit for that, instead pulled out a loose leaf paper chronicling all fuel and miles etc. Highlighted Ashland, VA asking me what happened to 200 gals fuel? Which I obviously put in truck, then was falsely accusing me of selling fuel?! Saying would request video at truckstop in VA. I said go ahead, I did nothing wrong! Said he would call cops, I said go ahead, I did nothing wrong! This idiot was trying to tell me when I started funny thing about fuel gauge is higher than shows so he could micromanage fuel stops, running tank down to near empty! I've never heard of that, either fuel gauge works or not at all.
    Of course I immediately flipped him fuel card & keys after roadside interrogation/false accusation of stealing fuel!
    Then didn't give me last check but said was late, come by office tomorrow. I decided NOT to be abused & accused falsely, sent email letter of resignation, and scheduled text I would NOT be coming into office to argue. To send/mail my last check/settlement sheet plus balance of "held" monies, and any reimbursements to my P.O. Box within 72 hours.
    Even with no or short notice they must pay within 72 hours per labor laws. Also can't withhold ANY pay for any missing fuel? Or damaged equipment like tires wear & tear. If they want to pursue false accusation of fuel I noted would have to be done in small claims court at their time and expense of court costs. I henceforth would NOT be interrogated or false accused, but only would show up on court date, and with any proof or lack of proof, I'm confident a judge would absolve me of any wrongdoing or further expense on my behalf.
    I also included law of false accusation said can be imprisoned for 7 years.
    Seems severe? But consider Book of Ruth when Hebrews hired false accuser foreigners. Ruth only asked them to recite the 9th commandment, which they didn't know, thus they were put to death.

Be safe out there, and know your rights.

"Captain Midnight". (handle)

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The first screw up with my money, whether they made good or not, would have been enough warning to jump ship right then.

mjd4277, Puppage and p608 Thank this.
  4. captainmidnite

May 18, 2010
    Aye kemosabi49 "know it all"
    I was teetering on the rails of the ship trying to weigh value of water gone down through the scuttlebutts, peering over at the vanishing line. But I decided to lift anchor, and head out to sea for another trip, see if were any improvements, but obviously got even worse falsely accused of stealing 200 gals fuel?. No wonder a company like that can't retain drivers, which should be their most valued asset. And they thus don't grow beyond 3 trucks, which one of them is driven by company partner. But at least I didn't step back up on deck to be tied over the gunners daughter and whipped some more.
    Aye lad thanks for swinging the lamp.

5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    The fact that they wanted to gripe about holding off on repairs until you got back to California (which I seriously doubt the truck(s) would make it back there) is a red flag in itself.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. captainmidnite

May 18, 2010
    mjd: thx 4 weighing in sir.
    Yes ur totally correct, the clutch hose leak was becoming progressively worse running around FLA.
    I told them somewhat exactly what you pondered(not being present or knowing severity of clutch hose issue),but I put forth more incredulously to the ninkoompoops(my Dad used to say, or "ninnie" for short, I don't know is Ole Eng? he was 2nd gen. Scottish) anyway, that truck wouldn't make it another 25 miles! Let alone 2800+miles.
    I've had small companies/owners before blow off things like warning and check light on, even about 2 1/2 years ago, was doing flatbed/spread axle, Cascadia DD13, was acting up/ended up roadside on that lonely stretch on the 191 in AZ just north of connecting hwy from NM a mine I delivered at. So reset codes etc got running again, of course informing owner. Said
    "Oh well, will have mechanic look at it back in CA."
    So I made it to Houck, AZ pued load of old ties from by railroad, rail guy loaded with bobcat/lift. So load was going like in the middle of UT, I looked at Rand McNally Atlas(like to get the "big picture" plus easier than GPS), decided to run the 40 west as more services etc, then go up to UT on the 89. Well I got just outside of Flagstaff, truck lost power, chugging to roadside, she shut off. So the company did have like a breakdown/tow line, so called said would need tow though only a few miles to Freightliner, but truck fired up again, I thought I'd be able to make it, so cancel tow.
    But got to where you turn off route 66, just before multi railroad tracks, and truck stalled, starting smoking profusely from engine! This is what happens if owners ignore those pesky warning check engine lights, turned out it was totally clogged DPF filters, requiring one box at $8000, total at Freightliner: $16,000! Plus down for an entire week, no breakdown pay, but owner paid week in motel, got me a basic room with heat & fridge & large flatscreen with cable & HBO etc, but quiet in separate side of hotel, only one other room beside me.
    The last company I worked for two years, I had two DPF repairs on 2 different trucks! One when I started and were turning up speed I think to 80 mph at Freightliner, was warning light coming on intermittently so they checked, required DPF filters and one box, was $14,000!
    The next major DPF, truck had been acting up usually just with loads 40K and above on the grapevine hills. But I stopped and did stationary regen, warning light would stay on, then go off in a day or so. But in Phx, AZ in July, ah yeah was a little toasty at 115°F, after pu really heavy Monster energy drink loads from that hole in Tempe, only got to Phx, starting acting up, but made it lower Buckeye area, place called William's & William's. Was pushing the breakdown button all the way, about 3 miles so wouldn't shut off. Black service writer girl is really cute, and I went to Travellers Inn, which had a commercial driver discount & shuttle to pick me up, and gave me ride back when truck done. That repair was like 5 days, but was over July 4th too, but that shop does work 2nd shift until midnight. One older tech, was working on truck said he used to work at Freightliner, and even though closer commute there, he had been at William's for many years. DPF at that shop & Freighliner he said is like over 50 percent of all their work.
    Oh btw when I was getting clutch hose done at that country shop in FLA near Tampa(I won't give out name) but guy informed me they do DPF delete, as well as get new trucks at a discount, not hot but dealer wants to move inventory.
    But though DPF is a hassle with fluid, regens, repairs, if one chooses to delete, they have special task force to check at inspection stations. Is like $10,000 fine and lose authority, license for 90 days!
    I'm taking a wee break now, to rest up, deal with getting paid from last fiasco job etc.
    So clearly states on Google if one gives full standard 2 week notice, then resigns can collect final pay immediately or next day, however, if NO or "short notice" the law says must be paid within 72 hours.
    That would be weekends or holidays included.
    So in CA can get accrued late pay, which I didn't get at that job over a couple years ago, though I went to Labor Board, and owner cut me a check immediately, I wasn't eligible for accrued late pay, because I hadn't included explicit instructions where to mail final check.
    This time I did it right, I sent email with notice of resignation and demand for wages owed to be mailed, and provided PO Box address.
    Also sent via text.
    But to make even more "legally binding" yesterday I printed out email + a copy, and hand SIGNED & mailed certified.
    So now if these idiots think they're in the right for not paying me for fuel missing? Or a frickin' flat tire picked up a nail or screw on way back to return truck, they even sent me pic of tire, saying in broken Eng writing/text, "you driving on flat tire log time."
    Yes while logged, truck has ELD, oh you mean long time?
    How the f. do u know when tire when flat? Was there a timer in the nail or screw?
    I didn't bother replying at all.
    So next job, I'm going to call around at prospects I have, if they don't want to say cpm over phone, I'll move on. If truck doesn't go 75 mph, I'll move on. Ideally would be good to get a new or newer truck within 3 years old, less chance of breakdowns/little things, even tires. Also if oooh and aaah about when and exactly how paid, I'll shove on.
    I was rather windy on reply, but I think I addressed some other issues, and hope can assist other drivers in avoiding pitfalls.
    I remember the foremost thing my trainer Bruce Trescott, also enlisted in Army, said was keep a good "attitude." Regardless of company, shippers/receivers, public's view of trucks etc.
    Another guy Richard I worked with doing enclosed car carriers with exotic & classic/antiques about 4 1/2 yrs ago, said "you don't have to be nice, just be polite and professional."

Attached Files:

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Man those companies with cheap owners give people the blues! I've been there man. I couldn't wait to get away from there

8. captainmidnite

May 18, 2010
    bryan: copy that sir.
    It sucks, and many of us drivers have been stuck out there at the whim of these "rag tag" companies. (i heard that term on the 55 IL truckstop from a local driver, when I told him about 'nother bad place: Kennedy Transport Romeoville, IL who screwed me over big time only worked there about 2 months near end of '02 after I had about 1 1/2 yrs exp. having stuck it starting out class A driving for whole yr 4-'01 to 4-'02 with Swift, which I had good safe record, still have copy of DAC/USIS/Hireright. Of course I had a few issues with Swift during that time, like trying to get back to CA for family court/child support, but at end resigning, they recorded accurately. Didn't put "terminated" like Marten did when I even called HQ in WI, clearly stated I was resigning. So Kennedy put "unauthorized location" on DAC, which was totally untrue, as when I wanted to resign, they said ok, directed me to their drop yard in City of Industry(like Harvey Kietel movie). Even had me meet their "part time" employee, which I surrendered keys and fuel card to, with an eyewitness even, my friend who drove up from OC to pick me up & my gear. So led prospective employees that used DAC, think I "abandoned" equipment. Stayed on my DAC for seven years! I called Kennedy a few times request correct false info, they refused. But I finally got some payback of about five large in 2010, with that class action suit against DAC/USIS/Hireright or whatever name they reinvented themselves as. I did my due diligence sending lawyer firm copies of denied employment due to false info on DAC. I even did a video deposition in Irvine.
    Well though ELD now we can't "fudge" on hours, at least it protects us somewhat from companies/dispatchers/DMs saying "call me" so no Qualcomm message record, when like Marten tried to coerce me to drive overnight around 900 miles WI to MS.
    Unfortunately we still have to deal with shippers/receivers, who don't care about our 14 hour clock with 11 hour total drive time. Oh company will say just go really slow under 5mph when move, so won't record drive time. But really? In a busy dock environment isn't possible, plus look like an idiot. The job I had for 2 yrs, I was able to change drive to "PC" personal conveyance. So if I was in SoCal doing pu, or somewhere else knew chicken coops were closed or not in vicinity could use PC until loaded, then do pretrip/load 15 minutes, thus having full shift available, so I had time to stop and get Panda Express one of my faves, or Farmer Boys, 'nother fave, plus hot cuties usually Latinas working there. Also I'd have time to stop for a nap, say on way to NorCal, on Twisselman Rd. just N. of Lost Hills.
    Now alot of drivers think can only use PC when bobtail or empty. But actually can use while under a load, to shop or eat.
    With ELD I usually had no trouble keeping under violation red zone, but occasionally say like in ID, down the 95 which I bought a permit for can get annual(you'll need for 53' trailer, if you blow off I've seen a few trucks pulled over by smokey the bear, or DOT, as signs are clearly posted warning) but parking scarce, I went over, and found small rest area going SB towards the 84. I just put note: seeking safe haven to park truck & trailer, also claimed "adverse conditions" which was winter, so windy, snow/ice etc.
    So flagged for inspection at Wheeler Ridge, CA just showed note to inspector on laptop. He said OK, rolled out with clean slate inspection.
    I recall taking a driver's advice when I wasn't sure if over on tandems rolling on the 8 east Yuma, I'd pued oranges from San Diego, as last pick doing reefer/produce. So driver had advised to just be honest and upfront right away, say unsure if over, of course not admit guilt, which I said "Mr. Scale Master sir...", so he said appreciated honesty, let's see, yup you're 800 lbs over on tandems/rears. But since you told me and didn't try to fly by, I'll give you a chance to adjust to legal weight. Took a couple attempts, but got to legal weights, and rolled east to drops at Boston Marketplace & north of Boston in Methuen, MA.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Reason for edit: Misspell meant deposition not supposition. Meant City of Industry, CA
    mjd4277 Thanks this.
  9. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Go endorsements, go LTL... The end. Truckload companies are getting worse and worse by the day. Ridiculous

10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    LTL is not the end all top job out there. Been there, done that. Not for everyone.

11. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    True. Can't disagree with you there.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.