BG Fuel treatment service

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by '07 KW w/53' Conestoga, Jan 16, 2019.

1. '07 KW w/53' Conestoga

'07 KW w/53' Conestoga Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Just curious....

Has anyone ever done a BG fuel treatment service on their engine?

My local mechanic who I only trust so far offers it and is encouraging me to get it done....for $1,500!!! I have about 200k mi on a 12.7 Det that was a crate replacement motor in 2013. The motor runs great, I've had the truck for about a year. If I ease the throttle and keep it under 70 (3.90 rears) and not pass everything in sight I can get close to 6 mph on flater roads and lighter loads.

I have heard claims of 12.7 enthusiasts getting over 7 running it hard. Obviously I'd like to too!

I took it to Diesel Dr in Effingham and had them upgrade the program to 550 hp and 1,850 torque from stock 430/1,450. BIG difference.

I have used BG additives with no noticable effects. Just drained my wallet of cash.

I am a firm believer in fuel additives since bio diesel took over, I use Howes year round and Power Service winter treat (the white jug) in cold weather. If you watch, you can buy 64 oz jug of Howes for under $9. I buy a year's supply when I find it this cheap...otherwise, its $20 at truck stops!

There is YouTube video on the BG process. It's somewhat complicated and takes a few hours plus, you need an oil/filter change when done, so, that's included in their fee.

My mechanic claims his customers who do it are getting 0.5 - 2 mpg improved economy. That is HUGE, if true.

I find it very HARD to believe anyone is getting 20% better economy because they removed deposits from motor.

I asked if he would guarantee results.

Obviously, even at 0.5 mpg, that more than pays for the service.

This is something he's recommended being done every 100k mi.

Thoughts???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Diesel Force Engine Maintenance and EGR Cleaning, If you want a real engine cleaning look into this from Pittsburgh Power, and have them go through your ECM and make sure you got a good tune or if some clown did a hack job on it. Also if your running 70mph with 390 rears your never going to get muck fuel milage out of it, if you drop it to about 60 you will see 7mpg out of that truck.

4. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    When I worked at a shop we sold lots of BG Services, we called them wallet flushes.

5. '07 KW w/53' Conestoga

Sep 28, 2015
    Yes, I'm familiar with PP...I trust the time from The Diesel Dr in Effingham, there are several posts about them on The Truckers Report.

I appreciate the info!

I get that going 60 mph will benefit economy, but, I just can't drive that slow!!!

My plan is to swap rears, put in something around 3.5 ratio or less.

6. '07 KW w/53' Conestoga

Sep 28, 2015
    Thanks! That's what I figured!

Someone makes big claims and has nothing to back it, well, it's just hot air!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.