Big boy truck Vs Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Indy12, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Indy12

Indy12 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Semi Tractor or Silverado 3500
    Haul Steel---HotShot loads ??
    I'm a semi driver , I have some type of knowledge of the steel business.
    Have some what understanding of the hotshot.
    What would you do and why ?
    Thanks .......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Go for it. You only live once.

4. Slay

Slay Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2015
    If you have the talent and experience in a semi why would you want to run a hot shot? I think you would be better off running a single axle with a goose neck or short flat bed if you do not want to haul 80k pounds.

A used day cab single axle can be found pretty cheap. Just be sure it is geared correctly to run highway miles.

I do not see a lot of steel loads that are light enough to go on a 3500 unless you have an "in" somewhere who can line them up for you.

5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I bought a single axle day cab for the last place I worked. I did NOT find one single axle that was less expensive than a similarly equipped tandem axle. It was crazy. The owner was dead set on a single so that's what I got. But found a lot of better deals on tandems. Part of the reason was there are not as many singles to chose from on the market. Even old single axle beverage trucks were expensive and not really suited to running the highway.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have never understood the whole hot shot thing. If anyone does an honest cost per mile comparison I don't see a 5% difference in operational cost. I can see a huge difference in the revenue potential. After 40 years in the biz, if I were you go the flatbed route, I would get a good used standard issue tandem tractor, a step deck with ramps and be available for the widest available cargo stream, if I was running 48.
    Single axles are used for regional use where there is a lot of turning and delivery stops, and a logistics plan where the origin and dest loads are consistent.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I think that a new dually, costs about 6 times what I paid for my first tandem axle big truck - a good used one maybe 3 or 4 times.

Always thought it was a lower entry level deal . . .

Old Man and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Indy12

Indy12 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Thank you all..
    I told my self over and over
    I know the steel biz ( locations, drop times, etc)
    And the hot shot biz never done it, but know close individuals who are doing it good...
    Just wanted input
    Thank ya

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.