Big G Express Shelbyville, Tn So far........

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Tenn I See Trucker, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Bigpapa1960

Bigpapa1960 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2017
    No I don't know who Victor is. I just happen to be from a finance/accounting background. Over 25 years and tired of the politics and run around. Decided to go to driving school and am now feeling free. Stumbled upon this site and so so many false and misleading statements that I felt I could help by presenting alternative points of view. I worked with many ESOP's and know how the majority owners can manipulate the working stiff. To see a company touting themselves as employee owned when it may not be is misleading. Not trying to imply Big G is anything other than completely employee owned but thought maybe you and others should be aware of that potential. Just trying to help having the experiences I have had.

DRAGON64 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    This is trucking and not banking.... Don't overthink it...it will only frustrate you...

No one is being deceived by anyone here...

Employee owned or not this is a great company.
    I am certain there are probably a few motives for the owner taking the company into an esop program but that is irrelevant to me.
    This is a solid company that supplies it's drivers with great equipment and benefits along with a competitive pay rate.
    A good place to call home.

TB John, DRAGON64 and Lonesome Thank this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    As long as the paycheck doesn't bounce on payday is what matters. As far as who owns what and retirement accounts go, I would say do any retirement planning outside the company. That way, if a person leaves the company, they don't have to go thru the red tape of rolling the retirement over. Or if it is a company like the coal company was and goes under...the retirement resources are safe. ESOPS and company profit sharing are bonus plans. Sorta' like life insurance. If the company offers it, take it, but don't let it be your only policy, just a little extra on top of an independent policy

tow614 Thanks this.
  5. trucker37841

trucker37841 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Oneida, Tn
    How do they do transportation to orientation? I sure hate riding the nasty greyhound bus. I live about 60 miles from Knoxville, off of I75. Do you think I would get home every weekend? And get good quality home time full 48 hours or more? Thanks for any help!

6. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    My wife and I both worked for Big G, we actually met while both working there. I worked there for 2.5 consecutive years, so I was not vested. My wife worked there, 3 separate times, for a total of about 5 years. They consolidated her time (each time she quit, due to getting burnt out on the road, was between 6-10 months). Since her time is consolidated (i.e. they did not consider her being terminated between stints), she is fully vested and her stock is valued at, currently, just a hair under $8000.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  7. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    They will use Greyhound unless you provide your own transportation.

Time off policy is as follows
    Work 5 days go home for 34hr reset.
    Work 2 weeks go home 3 days
    Work 3 weeks go home 4 days.
    4 days is the maximum time off.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If it's any consolation, I've been in my truck for 10 years and 630,000 miles.

And they just gave a brand spanking new Pete to the guy who wouldn't wear his out for another 10 years because he drives 20 miles a day. :rolleyes:

9. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Oh those lucky local drivers. 20 miles a day and $80,000.00 a year.

10. trucker37841

trucker37841 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Oneida, Tn
    Thanks Tow614! Im looking at them and a few other places.

tow614 Thanks this.
  11. DADof3

DADof3 Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Clarksville, TN
    Looks like I will be joining the Big G family next month.

DRAGON64 and tow614 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.